DVD Drive Format Blue Screen

By starman1947
Jun 22, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 using a Windows XP OS -- SP2

Within the past week I suddenly became unable to format discs and back-up files on both of my two DVD drives. When I attempt to format a disc or record material, I get the infamous "Blue Screen of Death" at which point the system shuts itself down. I can play DVD's and audio CD's with no difficulty. But, when I go to record or format...blewy!

I have run diagnostics, unloaded all recently installed hardware and software before reloading everything again. No help...

What I'm wondering is whether this is likely a hardware issue or something involving a software "fix." If it is a software problem, does anyone know how I might correct it?

All suggestions are most deeply appreciated.

Thanks
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

Try installing Service Pack 3 and make sure you have applied all the current Microsoft updates
  3. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

You may have to face the fact that your optical drive has worn out... Reading and writing are different functions that wear out, or become out of alignment, in different ways at different times.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.