DVD drive not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

arliebyrd

When I tried play a dvd on my laptop it did not work so I ejected the dvd and turned off the power. When I turned it back on again it gave a message that says some it has to run the windows fix it (i can't remember exactly) and when it restarted I could not open the dvd drive anymore. I looked for it in the drive list in MyComputer the dvd drive is not on the list anymore. It only has the C and D drive. I have not done any updates or downloads in the laptop before this happened. Please help. Thanks

What is the brand and model of the laptop, as well as the configuration and the operating system and age. If the laptop is old, and the DVD drive is old, it will not be detected if it is not working properly.

Of your comment, "the It only has the C and D drive", what do you think the D drive is if it is not the optical drive you are seeking?

the laptop is hd pavilion dv9700. the OS is windows vista home. drive d is the hp recovery (that's what it says) and the dvd drive was my drive e (which is now not showing up).

See if this might apply [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]

I have not turned my laptop on for the last two days and when I turned it on right now the drive is on MyComputer and is working fine. Should I still try to do the recommendations above or wait and see if the problem happens again?

I suppose a good question here would be ,"it's detected, but is it working"?

Drives that are in the process of going bad seem to have good days and bad days. The term "flaky" springs to mind.

If the drive is in fact working, and you are able to burn with it, why not wait until its next "episode", to begin diagnostic attempts.

If the problem is registry filters, (as LookinAround's tutiorial involves), the most common symptom(s) are issues with accessing the drive for burning. (Disclamer: "I think")!

In most instances you should be able to do anything with a USB "thumb drive" that you can with an optical, save perhaps the obvious, playing a DVD directly. Some software will play a DVD-Video from a folder on your Hard Drive, thus negating the need for an optical drive altogether. Hey look, this seems like a cop out, but the $1000.00 plus Mac Book Pro doesn't even ship with an optical drive, nor does any net book I'm familiar with.

Part of your decision to replace the drive, (if that should prove necessary) would be if this laptop is your only machine. Even if it is, I would offer the alternative of buying an external drive, that you could work with from home.

I concur with the captain.

Filter issues tend to cause persistent rather then intermittent problems so could well be a sign of flaky hardware. You might also try simply "re-seating" the DVD drive to make sure it hasn't work its way loose (especially since this is a laptop). They're typically secured by a latch or a screw (check the product manual). Slide it out and push it back in firmly and evenly with fingers on each side of the tray drawer.

Also, (just as a curiosity note) look for the drive in DevMgr now that it's working. Next time it disappears from MyComputer check if it has also disappeared from DevMgr.
> If in DevMgr but not MyComputer tends to implicate software
> But if not found in both tends to be physical h/w issue

I have just tried to use the dvd drive (we just finished moving!) and it opens but will not read a disk. I checked it in MyComputer and its not there but it is in the DevMgr. So I'm guessing its more of a software issue (?) I will do the steps that was on the "How to fix problems caused by filters" and will update with the results.

I'll put my bet on the optical drive being bad...
Try another drive, if you can, to test, We like LG and Pioneer and for around $19 at Directron, Zipzoomfly, Frys, and a few others. Or borrow one known good from a friend's compiuter.
You have to install a different drive known good to test, as the problems when they have failed are so squirrelly...
It is rarely the software.

It is rarely the software.
@raybay:
With all due respect raybay, your statement should more aptly read
"I rarely understand software nor do i know how to diagnose software related problems so i pretty much just insist everyone replace hardware"​

To try and keep it simple for you, how's if i just refer you to just one Windows fixit KB
Hmmm, Let's see.... according to Microsoft, this (you say) "rare occurence"? only applies to:
* Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
* Microsoft Windows XP Professional
* Windows Vista Business
* Windows Vista Business 64-bit Edition
* Windows Vista Enterprise
* Windows Vista Home Basic
* Windows Vista Home Premium
* Windows Vista Starter
* Windows Vista Ultimate
* Windows 7 Enterprise
* Windows 7 Home Basic
* Windows 7 Home Premium
* Windows 7 Professional
* Windows 7 Starter
* Windows 7 Ultimate

Oh. And MS also says
This problem is caused by two Windows registry entries that have become corrupted. To fix the problem, you have to use Registry Editor to delete the corrupted Registry entries.
So how many customer drives have you thrown out and then charged them to replace when the solution was really just a Microsoft software fixit away?​

@arliebyrd
Please excuse my digression, but there's a long history and much larger context then this single thread over several years involved here

As to your issue: It may, in fact, turn out that your hardware is bad. But, IMHO: given your symptoms with Device Manager and My Computer, it's folly (if not downright "negligent malpractice" from a "computer repair shop owner who claims decades of experience") to suggest it's "too rare" to first take a serious look at the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back