DVD drive not detecting anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day, I bought a barebone computer, it came with a DVD drive, a hard drive, a motherboard and cpu, and a power supply. I put my video card, sound card and network card in the barebone computer and also upgraded to windows vista from windows xp when i got it and everything is running fine. But i've run into a problem when i picked up a game, i went to install it, and the DVD driver isnt detecting the DVD. It makes a few pidder padder noises when it goes in but nothing happens. When the DVD is in the drive, if i write click the drive in My Computer...the computer starts to load but locks up and the only way to unlock it is to eject the DVD. eventually after awhile it detects theres something in there, but it always says its an audio CD with nothing on it. I've tried several different dvds.

I've tried doing a system restore to when i first got the computer which didnt work, I took the DVD drive out of my old computer which was working and put it in the new one to see if it was just a bad drive but the same problem occured. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and that didnt work. I replaced the IDE cable and that didnt work. I looked in device manager and its showing the drive as existing and it says the device is working properly. Power is getting to the drive because all the lights work and its able to eject by right clicking on the device. I have no idea what else i can do.

Can anyone help?

Try uninstalling the IDE controller that the optical drive is connected to through the Device Manager instead of just the optical drive. Go to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and uninstall them. Reboot and let Windows automatically reinstall them. See if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back