TechSpot

DVD drive problem

By sol1109
Jan 29, 2009
  1. Building a new system. I put the motherboard utility disk in DVD drive and drivers loaded OK with several self restarts. After that finished I rebooted and now the DVD drive seems unable to read anything. If I move the drive back to the old PC it works fine. What happend?

Specs:
    Motherboard, Gigabyte GA-EP45C-UD3R
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
    Memory, OZC Reaper OCZ2RPR11502GK
    Video Card, Gigabyte GV-R485OC-1GH
    Drive, Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA
    DVD Lite-On LH-20A1H IDE Master
    CDWriter HP9100 IDE Slave
    OS XP_PRO

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +237

See if hasn't somehow reverted to the slower PIO mode from the faster DMA mode. Look in the Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

3. sol1109

sol1109 TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 91

Everything looks fine. When you put in a CD in does short little seeks and the LED will blink occasionally. Under event viewer/system I get a warning that the CDROM is having an error during a paging operation.

4. sol1109

If I move the drive back to my old system and make it a shared resource can I use it over the network to complete the software installs until I figure something out? Or do I risk installation on the wrong drive C:?

5. sol1109

Just used system restore to reset my PC to before use of the Gigabyte driver and utility disk. This corrected the problem so I guess I will concentrate on what this did by installing manually one item at a time.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.