DVD drive problem

It is sort of a weird problem I am getting. I have a Sony Vaio with a Pioneer dvd-rw Dvr-106D. it was working fine but then i upgraded to windows 7, and it's when my problems started. It says it is installed and everything, but when i put a data disc it does not read it or prompt me what i would like to do. But when i pop in a DVD, it opens up windows media player and plays it. If anyone has any suggestions on what I could do, i would greatly appreciate it. Have a great day.

There's an option in the Control Panel called Default Programs ... select it and then choose Change Autoplay settings. From there you can choose the default action for each type of media or specify that no action be taken.

There's an option in the Control Panel called Default Programs ... select it and then choose Change Autoplay settings. From there you can choose the default action for each type of media or specify that no action be taken.

All of them have the option "Ask me Everytime". But it doesn't seem to do it :(

So your issue is that when you insert a new media into that drive, that no option comes up asking you what to do with it? But otherwise everything works ok?

So your issue is that when you insert a new media into that drive, that no option comes up asking you what to do with it? But otherwise everything works ok?

well when i insert a DVD movie it autoplays and plays just fine. but when i insert anything else like music, or another installation disc or dvd that is not a movie, nothing comes up. Its weird.

@micheldell

I had a maybe similar issue with my Dell computer and DVD drive over last 6-8 weeks where tray door wouldn't want to stay closed, sometimes it didn't want to stay open on my first few tries using it (then it would eventually work)

I just found a firmware update from my DVD drive this morning on Dell's support site and installed it. At least since the morning, it's working again for me. (fingers crossed) Maybe check for firmware updates as well on your system or drive vendor's support site

Back