DVD drive turns into a CD drive when I insert DVDs

By Pink
Oct 6, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hey Guys,

So the Title pretty much sums up what's going on.
    It'll read some dvds, much with some it'll just turn into a cdrom drive.
    It's not the dvds, i tested them on two other dvd players and they worked. And i'm not sure it's the drive either since it can read most dvds i feed it, so i'm pretty sure it's a software problem.

I tried a lot of stuff, including registry editing (guides on the Windows site) and such, but nothing helped. Also, i dunno if this is related, but it seems autostart has been disabled on my pc, for a long while now. Whenever i feed any cd, dvd or image into virtual drives, it won't autostart.

Thanks for the help
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,412   +281

Unlike you, I'd expect this to be a hardware problem. You've ruled out that the disks are faulty by trying them in other drives, and you've established it can read some dvds. I think the drive is faulty.

Good news is you can pick up a fancy new dvd burner for about $15-20
  3. Pink

Pink TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 127

Lol, thanks. i just didn't wanna waste those 15$, and find out that the problem was in my pc. i can use those 15$ to pay some bills!]

Thanks again
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,412   +281

What did you do to fix it?
  5. Pink

Pink TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 127

Bought a new drive lol... turns out the bad drive was actually destroying any cds i put into it...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.