DVD drive won't electronically open

Gizmogadget

I just got a used laptop from a computer company and everything works fine but the DVD drive. If I push the eject button it will try to open and the light will flash, but it doesn't. It will read and burn DVD's and CD's great, but you have to open it manually with a pin, help would be greatly appreciated!

Can you navigate to the drive using 'My Computer' on W XP or 'Computer' on Vista and 7?

If so right click on the drive and try to eject it. Beats using a pin.

Usually when an optical drive won't open, it's a simple matter of the "rubber band broke", literally! The tray opening mechanism is driven by a rubber band that can, slip, wear, fall off or break. This seems to be a prevalent problem in Pioneer DVD drives, but I'm guessing others can have the same issues.That'd be the first place to look. After you get it open, will it close successfully?

No, the belt isn't broken if it closes automatically. But is it possible that it's slipping when the tray is trying to open. (Do you hear anything)? Or, after you pop it with the paperclip, does it then open the rest of the way by itself?

Well I took it apart and it has no belt, it is one that you push the button and it pops out, than you have to pull it out yourself. But what I noticed when I had it apart was that the motor that moves the latch to open is blown or has a bad connection, so my best bet is to problaly buy a new one.

Back