DVD drive wont read cds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm a first time poster with absolutely no other place to turn. I have a Dell Inspirion E1505 with Windows Vista Home Premium. I recently purchased a new game, and my computer simply refuses to read it, along with other CDs. When I look in My Computer, the computer recognizes that a CD is present (the icon changes and says CD-Rom), but if I click on the drive, it asks me to drag files to place on the perceived empty disk. This occurs for both audio and data CDs, but not for DVDs. Before I go through the list of fixes I've tried, whenever I reference my sister's computer, her computer is the EXACT same as mine; her hardware and OS are the same, the only difference being software. Now, the fixes I've tried:

1) I tried the Upper and Lower Filter registry fix, which allowed the drive to read DVDs, but still not CDs.

2) Game works on other computers, including my sisters.

3) Swap CD drive with my sister's computer. The game still does not work on my computer, and still works on her.

3) Swap hard drives between our laptops. When her hard drive is in my laptop, the game runs fine with either drive. When my hard drive is in her computer, the game does not run with either drive.

4) Run both computers in safe mode. Runs on her computer and on my computer with her hard drive; does not run on either computer with my hard drive.

5) Now I'm using a completely different DVD drive in my computer, but still no luck. *EDIT* The game also works in this new drive, just not with my hard drive.

6) Compared the drivers on her hard drive to the drivers on mine. All are the same. She did have some drivers listed under her Device Manager in the CD/DVD-Rom section, but when I removed them, the game still ran fine. I also deleted the upper and lower filters from her registry, and the game still works.

All of these led me to one conclusion: There cannot be a hardware issue, it must be software or a driver.

So, the only conceivable thing i can think of is that there is some sort of software I have installed that she doesn't. But I can't seem to find anything that could be causing this. I don't use any burning software, and the only burning software on my computer is also on my sister's computer (another attempt at a fix).

Any ideas/ does anybody know of any programs or drivers that might be interfering with the DVD drive?

Thanks in advance,

CJ

1. do not swap hard drives. This will cause system crashes. The OS is loaded for the computer it was put on.

2. reseat the cd rom/dvd drive. If you still have issues you may have a faulty drive. If it works on another system, you have a hardware issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back