DVD drive won't show up in BIOS

Hi, I am an A+ Certified student so it should make things progress easily.

I am trying to upgrade a computer with bigger HDD, RAM and a DVD Burner, now i was able to put in 1 gig of DDR PC3200 RAM and a Western Digital 360 gig HDD.
i installed windows xp with the original CD drive that came with the PC and everything was fine. i then decided to put in a DVD burner and found the computer sat at blank screen for 30 to 40 sec before it did its POST then it shows the logo as usual and it went straight to black screen saying

"1962: no operating system found press. F1 to repeat boot sequence".

I then checked the bios and i was not seeing nether hard drive or dvd drive i checked the bios over and over for a software lock for the cd drive but there is nothing there, i am positive the connections are correct and my jumpers are good. the hard drive is brand new and the dvd drive is 3 months old i was using it untill i bought a blu-ray burner. i tried a different dvd drive and same problem and i disconnected the hard drive and the dvd drive still wont show up in bios.

can i please get some help with this i am about ready to take up drinking as a full-time job

system Spec's

IBM Think Center 8183

Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz

Kingston 1 Gig PC3200 DDR Ram

Western Digital 360 Gig HDD 7200 Rpm

LG Super Multi DL DVD-RW Drive "dont remember the speed's {i know it burns cd's at 52X"

everything else is built-in the motherboard witch is IBM REV: 2.5

Thank You In Advance!

For testing purposes can you try another IDE cable? Maybe it got damaged with some of the changing of the hardware.

i have changed the ide cable and same problem

i flashed the bios with the latest firmware and still nothing

if i put the original cd drive back in, the computer works fine but it does not work with ANY other kind of optical drive

I'm at a bit of a loss. Try changing the jumper setting on both drives to cable select and see if that changes anything.

Back