Dvd drives not reading any disks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody. This is my first post. I'm pleading with all you tech heads out there to see if you can help me with this problem. I Have an msi k8n neo4 motherboard 3200 amd 64 running win xp home. (old system I know) I have 2 dvd burners Lg gsa4167b and a brand new (2 days old) liteon dh20a4p. The lg drive just suddenly stopped reading any disks. When I looked into device manager it said I needed to update the drivers but windows could not find them. I tried updating via lg's website firmware software but it said it could not find the drive! I even swapped over the ide cable (original setting was ide2 as master) but to no avail. So I bought the new liteon drive thinking the lg had died and surprise surprise it has exactly the same problem. No disks will read. No drivers came with it!!! Would a repair install of xp help find the missing drivers? What do I do???

I'd delete and reinstall your IDE controller drivers. The drives themselves do not require drivers in the sense that you need to dl and update them. CD/DVD drives use generic drivers that come with the OS (and have for over a decade).

Your IDE controller drivers are probably just the chipset, whether it be nforce, or via, or whatever.

Yes it's full xp service pack 2. Oh and the cpu is a 3800 not that is going to make any difference. I have uninstalled both drives but got I still come up with the same thing.

Ok how do I delete and reinstall my ide drivers? I did not find it in device manager? Thanks for all the help in advance btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back