DVD drives not working/registering

By LordOfDan
Feb 9, 2008
  1. I have searched google and these forums for about a week trying things to no avail.

I just recently installed a graphics card, but after I finished installing it, i ran into a few problems.

I can put CDs into my dvd/cd drives but nothing will read. So I checked under my computer and they weren't there. So I went to device manager and they weren't there either. I went to BIOS and it just registered there was something connected to my IDEs.

I read that I should try the registry editor to delete upper and lower files, but when I went there, I had no upper or lower files to delete.

Is it a jumper problem? Because when I installed the graphics card, I didn't change anything besides the card itself.

I dont think its a power problem since I can open and close the DVD trays just by pressing the button.

Any help is greatly appreciative, thanks alot in advance.
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

How old were the optical drives.
    Optical drives last about a year, nowadays... DVD drives have even a shorter life.
    It is possible to build an optical drive with a long life, but only Plextor and Yamaha are doing it, as far as I know. Lasers burn out just like a light bulb.
    If your drives were used a lot, they could fail after 6 months, which is good because nearly all of them have a one-year warranty.
    You might want to pull off the cover from the bottom of the drive, and look for a slipped roller drive, or a belt on a belt drive that has slipped off. Just slip them back on and your drive will return to normal. For a while.
  3. LordOfDan

LordOfDan TS Rookie Topic Starter

I barely used my drives, and it can't possibly be a coincidence that it has happened right after I finished installing a new gfx card.

Even if the laser bulbs went out, wouldn't my computer at least register that there were some dvd drives connected?

I mean they aren't under ym computer, device manager, or BIOS.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.