DVD drives not working/registering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched google and these forums for about a week trying things to no avail.

I just recently installed a graphics card, but after I finished installing it, i ran into a few problems.

I can put CDs into my dvd/cd drives but nothing will read. So I checked under my computer and they weren't there. So I went to device manager and they weren't there either. I went to BIOS and it just registered there was something connected to my IDEs.

I read that I should try the registry editor to delete upper and lower files, but when I went there, I had no upper or lower files to delete.

Is it a jumper problem? Because when I installed the graphics card, I didn't change anything besides the card itself.

I dont think its a power problem since I can open and close the DVD trays just by pressing the button.

Any help is greatly appreciative, thanks alot in advance.

Coincidence.
How old were the optical drives.
Optical drives last about a year, nowadays... DVD drives have even a shorter life.
It is possible to build an optical drive with a long life, but only Plextor and Yamaha are doing it, as far as I know. Lasers burn out just like a light bulb.
If your drives were used a lot, they could fail after 6 months, which is good because nearly all of them have a one-year warranty.
You might want to pull off the cover from the bottom of the drive, and look for a slipped roller drive, or a belt on a belt drive that has slipped off. Just slip them back on and your drive will return to normal. For a while.

I barely used my drives, and it can't possibly be a coincidence that it has happened right after I finished installing a new gfx card.

Even if the laser bulbs went out, wouldn't my computer at least register that there were some dvd drives connected?

I mean they aren't under ym computer, device manager, or BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back