DVD on laptop not working

I have a 4-year old laptop (Toshiba) whose DVD has hardly been used, but nevertheless stopped reading a year back. I have just purchased a new printer and cannot load the new drive either via the supplied CD or online (after an hour or so I am kicked off the site.) Can anyone help?

Sam.

Yes, there is some sound as the DVD revolves nicely for a while and then stops. I'd have no problem in purchasing an external reader (as recommended by one member) but from feedback on the Samsung site I was referred to, there seem to be problems with connecting the DVD to laptops!!! (All I really need from the DVD--existing one or a new one--is to get me the new printer drive. I am perplexed also why it takes over 90 minutes to download a drive from the HP site!)

Download a drive?? Download just the drivers, that is all you need. That is usually normal that it stops every once and a while, but it should have popped up an installer before it stops spinning. have you tried inserting a regular movie or something and playing through VLC? Can ya try that and respond to me what happens

Hmm, that is normal, but a installer should pop up.
go to the start menu and type in autoplay, and chose the "chose default settings for all media devices" option, make sure use auto play is checked at the top

I do not have a "default settings for all media devices" option. Anyhow I am throwing in the towel--just ordered an external DVD from Amazon. But I TRULY appreciate your effort to help.

I do not have a "default settings for all media devices" option. Anyhow I am throwing in the towel--just ordered an external DVD from Amazon. But I TRULY appreciate your effort to help.
no problem, the issue may arise again with the external dvd drive, if it does, repost

First, try this Microsoft Fixit

If still doesn't help, open Device Manager, right click the DVD and select Properties->Details. Use the pull down menu to select both Upper Filters and Lower Filters and tell me what it says for each

Btw... Let us know if the external DVD works. If the external doesn't work either and seems to have the same problem, it is likely a driver filter issue.

Back