DVD R/RW cannot write

I have a Lite-On DVDRW SOHW 1633S and a Lite-On DVD SOHD-167T. I have been trying to burn music from Nero Express and neither will write to a disk. I used the Microsoft Fixit diagnostic tool from the website but both instances tell me the drives are not capable of writing. Could both drives be defective or could it be something in the configuration, or maybe I'm not using the right diaks. I am using CD-RW disks. Any help is appreciated.

If both drives WERE write drives i would say there was a software/config error but the Lite-On DVD SOHD-167T isnt a writing drive for CD's or DVD's.

With this in mind this coudl point to your other drive being at fault. Before purchasing a drive i would recomment checking all the cables conencting the drive to the mobo and uninstalling and reinstalling the NERO software. While these are unlikely to be at fault its better to be safe than sorry.

You could try using other discs but again if the Microsoft tool is saying its not a burning drive it sounds like that maybe the drive is not working correctly. If im not mistaken i believe its an older drive as opposed to a newer one. try using a diff burning drive you know works either a spare you may have or a mates in your PC and see if that helps.

Hope this helps
James

Thanks!

Thanks James! I have a couple of older CD drives I'll try after checking the cables.

I appreciate your help.

i concur with earlier post is worth trying to reinstall Nero. Also, does your version of Nero include their InfoTool. (you can also download an older copy here). See what it reports about your drives

You might also take a look at / see if any of this might apply [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]

Back