TechSpot

Dvd +/-r

By master_mood
Oct 20, 2006
  1. hi..

can anyone tell me whats the difference between a DVD +R and a DVD -R? pls enlighten me..

thanks..

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Slightly different specs, slightly different compatibility. Other than that not much.

DVD-R/RW was developed by Pioneer. Based on CD-RW technology, it uses a similar pitch of the helix, mark length of the 'burn' for data, and rotation control. DVD-R/RW is supported by the DVD Forum, an industry-wide group of hardware and software developers, and computer peripheral manufacturers. The DVD-R format has been standardized in ECMA-279 by the Forum, but this is a private standard, not an 'industry' ISO standard like the CD-R/RW Red Book or Orange Book standard.

DVD+R/RW is also based on CD-RW technology. DVD+R/RW is supported by Sony, Philips, HP, Dell, Ricoh, Yamaha, and others, and has recently been endorsed by Microsoft. DVD+R/RW is not supported by the DVD Forum, but the Forum has no power to set industry standards, so it becomes a market-driven issue.

3. master_mood

master_mood TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

i see... so which is better? which should i get to burn stuff?

4. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Posts: 1,060

I find that dvd-r is more compatible with dvd players, playstations etc. DVD+r also has a "high compatibility" mode or something like that, but I find it easier to just use dvd-r.

Korrupt

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

I use DVD-R's too, they just seem to be more common. I have not had trouble using either type though

6. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 883

I've used +r for years only had a problem with on very cheap player.

7. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

I guess it's really a matter of choice... I recommend -R's, because I use them most

8. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

most of the time i found that it doesn't matter what format you use (+ or -) but sometimes in the really old dvd players (pcs and tv players) and some cheap ones prefer the -r types..

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.