DVD-ROM drive won't burn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Information
Disc Drive: HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B
Manufacturer: LG

I have a DVD-ROM drive that used to burn discs. It will not burn them lately. I did not make any major change in any software or do anything major lately. The drive is supposed to read and write CD-R and CD-RW, and read DVD-ROM. It reads everything correctly, but it will not write anything. I have burned discs before; I know that it has that capability. No program I use will recognize it as having writing capabilities, but nothing has a problem recognizing its read capabilities. I ran diagnostics on it, and they came back saying exactly that - that this drive can read nearly everything except HD and BD-ROMS, but it can't write anything. I have tried uninstalling from Device Manager but that did not solve the problem.

I tried updating the firmware with the firmware on LG's website, but it would not let me and I don't know why.

What could be wrong with the drive, and how can I fix it?

Have you tried this drive on another computer/clean install to make sure it is not the drive, because over time drives can go bad and stop working properly.

Only the writing component of the drive can go bad? I thought it was all-or-nothing. I haven't tried moving the drive; I don't trust myself to take the drive out of the computer.

See if this might apply to your case [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]

I thought it was all-or-nothing.
Definitely not so.

Your best bet would be to try the link LookinAround gave you. If that doesn't fix it, IMHO, you will have to replace the drive. It's not that hard really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back