DVD rom reading some dvds but not others?

By chaotechn9ne
Oct 31, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello i'm having a problem with my DVD rom,
    It reads some dvd rom games then it wont read others,
    its a NEC 3550A, it says its working properly
    I just recently reinstalled windows xp, it had to copy the file name "driver.cab" a few times
    before going on to the other files so im wondering if maybe i should reinstall or what.

any input would be appreciated thanks
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. chaotechn9ne

chaotechn9ne Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

for the firmware update, i did steps 1-2 found that my only drive is a slave drive no less, does that matter when i update it or does it have to be configured to Master drive, if so how is that done.
  4. kimsland

I'm a tad concerned answering this :confused:

Rom updates are usually done on Master (or CS) configured ATA (IDE) DVD Drives.

But there is the small issue that doing this may cause the drive not to function again!

I cannot gaurantee or inform you of the best steps sadly (basically I don't want to be responsible!)
  5. chaotechn9ne

chaotechn9ne Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

lol no problem, i made a mistake also, turns out the disc i thought was DVD rom was a cd room, so in fact it wont play any dvds, the dvd laser is probably not working any longer, ill just have to get another, thanks for your time
  6. kimsland

oh ok :D

Thanks for the update :grinthumb
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.