DVD ROM won't read CDs

Giwrgos

Hey everyone,

Well this is my problem:My pc has a DVD rom that will open DVDs but not CDs.Any suggestions?The problem occured recently, but can't remember if i did any sagnificant actions.However the problem remained when i changed my windows from xp to 7.

Optical drives do wear out... You can try and delete the drive in the Device Manager and let Windows re-install it on a restart. if this doesn't bring the drive back to full working condition, the optical drive will have to be replaced

well its a 5 year old pc...it could be true...But is runs DVDs...it just don't run CDs.I 'll try what you said though.Where is the device manager?i am new to windows 7 and i am having a hard time...

T magic i did what you said.Unistaled it, restarted the pc, the windows automaticaly re instaled it but the same thing happens

To my understanding, there are 2 different read lasers, one for DVD, one for CD. Given this is quite an old drive, a bad CD read laser could be the problem Anybody want to back me up, or shed some additional light on that?

Given that 19 bucks would buy a replacement; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118040 it's not the end of the world. Although, this is a SATA connected drive, and considering the age of the PC in question, you would most likely need an IDE model.

Audio is data, yes, but it is a different format, requiring different drivers to be installed.
First...
1.Open Device Manager.
2.Right-click your CD drive, and then click Properties.

What is the status of the "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device" check box?
If it IS checked, then you may need to (rollback or) update your audio chipset drivers.

Again, from device manager...
1. Do you have any icons with Red or Yellow warning symbols? If so, these indicate problems.
2. Under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers, check each of the areas dealing with audio.
Try rolling back or updating each of them.

If none of the above work, then I too would go with TMagic and Cpt Cranky!
I just like to check the on-board possibilities for solution, before jumping to the hardware replacement.
Geeks.com has some PATA/IDE devices for about $15 plus shipping.
If you have a MicroCenter near you...
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0325027
Other stores may also have them in stock.

Audio is data, yes, but it is a different format, requiring different drivers to be installed.
First...
1.Open Device Manager.
2.Right-click your CD drive, and then click Properties.

What is the status of the "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device" check box?
If it IS checked, then you may need to (rollback or) update your audio chipset drivers.

Again, from device manager...
1. Do you have any icons with Red or Yellow warning symbols? If so, these indicate problems.
2. Under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers, check each of the areas dealing with audio.
Try rolling back or updating each of them.

If none of the above work, then I too would go with TMagic and Cpt Cranky!
I just like to check the on-board possibilities for solution, before jumping to the hardware replacement.
Geeks.com has some PATA/IDE devices for about $15 plus shipping.
If you have a MicroCenter near you...
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0325027
Other stores may also have them in stock.

Well honestly i cannot spot this checkbox you are talking about.No i don't get any colored singes of error.Some movies i put in have sound.However there is a weird noise coming out of the ROM.(i mean the hardwear thing not what comes out of my speakers)Can you help me with this?I have a H-L Data Storage GT20N from a broken asus laptop and a (can't spot the manufacure company) UJ-820B from an also broken toshiba laptop.Is there a possibility i can connect any of these with usb or something?

My suggestions proved to be unhelpful then.
Movies with sound, to me, would indicate that your audio codecs are functioning, so again pointing to hardware.
The drive being noisy, I would interpret the same.

I had not yet seen the caddy for the laptop optical drives and appreciate that link!
If you just wanted to buy an external drive, those start about $40 (US).

same issue here

i have similar issue and ever since i have installed Vista 64bit, i noticed CDs are un recognized in DVD ROM or in CD Rom.

i am still looking for possible explanation, but its a facts, i have tried many different pcs. even the one with really old CD roms with Parallel ATA.

in my case, all of them are data cds CD R. all cds are burned during 1998 to 2000 and even, and some of them are original software installer (eg. Alies Maya installer)

for few weeks i thought there is some hard ware problem and it cant access CDs any more.

any suggestions ?

Back