TechSpot

DVD RW installed, but system is not recognizing it

By jfinger23
Feb 15, 2008
  1. Problem: I want to copy/burn DVDs, as well as make data DVDs for data backup purposes.

Right now, my system has no problems reading/writing CDs and playing DVDs, but it does not recognize blank DVDR disks.

MEGA 865 desktop
    Western Digital 80GB Hard Drive
    (15GB Primary Partition and 65GB Data/Media Partition)
    128MB Video Card
    Windows XP Pro with all current updates
    Service Pack 2
    Microsoft Office
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
    1 Gb RAM
    AVG
    Roxio 6
    Spybot
    Adware 2007
    CCleaner

Here is what I know:
    --When there is nothing in the disk drive, when I click "My Computer," The drive is listed as "DVD-RW Drive (G:)
    --When I right-click "My Computer" from the start menu, then go to the Hardware tab, then Device Manager, expand the "DVD/CR-ROM drives" entry, what shows up is "SONY DVD RW DW-U18A."

What I have done:
    Without any DVD-burning software, I noticed DVD-R disks were not read. I installed Roxio 6, and when I clicked the "Burn DVD" button, a window appeared that said, "There are no recorders on your system."

I also tried updating the driver, however, I bought this desktop used, and it did not include the startup disks.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.