DVD-RW or CD-RW drive does not recognize blank media

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonzeye

i have 2 os installed xp awesome and vista ultimate on a Tb drive both drives used to work perfectly fine on both os but i noticed after i used poweriso to start burning and mounting my iso files that now niether drive will recognize a blank dvd or cd no matter what program i use ie: nero, alchohol daemon tools i evenplace different os on my partitions and still the same issues. i have a gigabyte k8 mobo dual bios custom any help would be greatly appreciated

well i tried both above fixes but to no avail i took one of the drives out and placed it in another pc of mines and it shows the blank disc as empty so im figuring it to be a bios issue any other tips?

i also found this

Drive
-----
The key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\{fbeb8a05-beee-4442-804e-409d6c4515e9} points to the missing CLSID HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{fbeb8a05-beee-4442-804e-409d6c4515e9}.

Drive
-----
The key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\ShellEx\PropertySheetHandlers\{fbeb8a05-beee-4442-804e-409d6c4515e9} points to the missing CLSID HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{fbeb8a05-beee-4442-804e-409d6c4515e9}.

I wonder if it would be best to remove the drives (software wise) and re-install them

Start->Run-> Devmgmt.msc

Locate your drives and click the + sign to expand them
Right click on the drive and remove them (may say delete or un-install)
Restart your computer, and allow Windows to re-install them normally (automatically)
Test again

i used poweriso to start burning and mounting my iso files that now niether drive will recognize a blank dvd or cd no matter what program i use ie: nero, alchohol daemon tools
I had a similar issue once (back in my DVD copying days)
I downloaded and installed a bunch of DVD programs
Then all of a sudden I couldn't burn again!

It must have been some corruption (having multiple DVD programs installed, and associated DLLs)
I ended up removing all related programs (fully) then re-installed one (I think Nero at the time)
All of a sudden the drive worked again

Possibly this may be the best option for you to try as well ;)

I'll tell you what it is.

If it's not recognizing the drive at all, ie it doesn't show up in My Computer, chances are pretty good it's the AFS.sys driver. Find it and delete it. It's not compatible with the latest GEAR drivers.

The other thing it could be is a setting in the registry that tells Windows what kind of drive you have.

Open the registry editor and navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives

Expand that tree and look for Volume {GUID}. In the right, look for the drive type entry and modify it as applicable:

1 - if it's a CD-R
2 - if it's a CD-RW

Close the editor.

Make sure you have a recording tab in the optical drive properties and make sure the IMAPI burning service is running (services.msc console)

well i did have a bunch of dvd burning programs but hey if i partitioned another os the problem shouldnt transfer to that sys would it?

1. ensure the media is the correct type for your drive i.e. -r for -r or +r for + r. If your drive can handle either, then you have a software issue.
2. remove drivers and reinstall the original device drivers.
3. for burning software, I recommend the following open source program:
infraburn - just google it. It is free.

If you want commercial - and there really isn't a need to pay for commercial when you have good open source programs, try roxio or nero. Be prepared to shell out $

hi
im having the same problem . im using xp home . on monday i burned a dvd using convertxtodvd3 . i tried to do another later a it wouldnt recognise my dvd i put in , i use both dvd-r & dvd+r . when i put as dvd in autoplay comes on and says play dvd , playdvd using wmp etc , nothing about burning , ive tried various dvd brands but nothing . so basically i cant get the programmes to recognise theres a dvd in my laptop .. hope someone can help ..ty

p/s ive used convertxtodvd3 , nero 8 , sonic and dvd santa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back