DVD+RW problems with my NEC/Sony 7173A drive

Tommygunn

I'm in the process of doing some backups but I've hit a snag with my pile of DVD+RW's, that has happened before.
I have an NEC/Sony 7173A cd/dvd rom which will happily play shop bought DVD's, will play pre-recorded music, I can burn/play data/music CD's etc but I cannot view what I know to be on at least some of these DVD's and nor can I burn to them properly.

What happens is, when I put one of these DVD+RW's in the tray is that there is no reponse from the 'E' drive icon in 'My Computer' but it will open up a separate 'E' drive window but with no data in it.
If I right click on the icon in 'My Computer' and do 'Properties' it says there is nothing there.

I have tried erasing and burning these DVD+RW multiple times both with MS software and Nero and I get nothing. The only thing that comes close is that, for example, in Nero I burn some photos, it says everything has done what it is supposed to but when I go to view the contents I get all of the above.
One other thing, when burning with Nero and it asks if I want to, 'verify data on disc after burning', and I tick the box, it will abort the burn towards the end of the cycle. If I don't tick the box then it will complete the burn but I will still have the same problems as outlined above.

Can DVD's just go wrong while other formats are much hardier?

Tom.

Some drives just don't like some disks. There is a difference between DVD-RW and DVD+RW, you may want to confirm your drive does support the +RW. Also, look into a firmware update for your drive, it may fix some compatibility issues with certain disks.

Back