TechSpot

DVD+RW problems with my NEC/Sony 7173A drive

By Tommygunn
Oct 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I'm in the process of doing some backups but I've hit a snag with my pile of DVD+RW's, that has happened before.
    I have an NEC/Sony 7173A cd/dvd rom which will happily play shop bought DVD's, will play pre-recorded music, I can burn/play data/music CD's etc but I cannot view what I know to be on at least some of these DVD's and nor can I burn to them properly.

What happens is, when I put one of these DVD+RW's in the tray is that there is no reponse from the 'E' drive icon in 'My Computer' but it will open up a separate 'E' drive window but with no data in it.
    If I right click on the icon in 'My Computer' and do 'Properties' it says there is nothing there.

I have tried erasing and burning these DVD+RW multiple times both with MS software and Nero and I get nothing. The only thing that comes close is that, for example, in Nero I burn some photos, it says everything has done what it is supposed to but when I go to view the contents I get all of the above.
    One other thing, when burning with Nero and it asks if I want to, 'verify data on disc after burning', and I tick the box, it will abort the burn towards the end of the cycle. If I don't tick the box then it will complete the burn but I will still have the same problems as outlined above.

Can DVD's just go wrong while other formats are much hardier?

Tom.
  2. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

Did you try opening these DVD+RWs on a different device, to check whether it is the disk that's faulty or the way that drive reads them? (I had a similar problem, but it was with all DVDs, the solution for that is here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060)
  3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 90

Yeah, that's one thing I need to try. I'll take them over to my mates place.

Tom.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,522   +298

Some drives just don't like some disks. There is a difference between DVD-RW and DVD+RW, you may want to confirm your drive does support the +RW. Also, look into a firmware update for your drive, it may fix some compatibility issues with certain disks.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.