Dvd rw problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

WGC Gav

i recently upgraded my computers motherboard and cpu and since this upgrade my computer does not recognise the dvd rw drive i have it shows it as a cd rom drive, i have tested the drive in another computer and its fine, but ive tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and downloading the official drivers for it straight from the company itself but still no luck.
any suggestions and also its an Emprex DVD dual 16x Double Layer burner

Oh

Have you tried un-installing Roxio, then re-installing?

Basically Roxio seems to have lost what drive to use (being the CD, Which is a DVD R/W)

kimsland said:
Oh

Have you tried un-installing Roxio, then re-installing?

Basically Roxio seems to have lost what drive to use (being the CD, Which is a DVD R/W)
may sound a bit noobish but what is that?

When setting up Roxio it checks for the default drive to burn to. This default drive has now changed (due to Motherboard change) And therefore Roxio doesn't know where to burn to any longer.

You could also check which drive Roxio is burning to in Roxio's settings, but I think a re-install will just automatically set it up for you.

i dont have that, its a problem with the system itself shows up in my computer as a cd rom the burner programs know its there but the computer doesnt see it as the dvd rw its supposed to be i get a weird name for the drive as well its "D D W I E 1 X"

thanks for the program but it was an odd thing that happend it showed my dvd rom drive and the drop down menu had the other drive but it was garbled characters as the name and when i clicked it the program crashed, and i have pretty much done the system specs but i cant really remember the motherboards brand and name

Ok, it sounds as though the CD (DVD of course) Bios has become corrupt

When you updated the drive, did you actually write a new bios file to the drive?

Actually, I have a better idea. This drive may not be compatible with your new system (What!) Well it can be the situation. Obviously purchasing a new DVD R/w will fix that

I wonder also if you could try this drive in another computer (if you have access to aother one) That way you can prove the drive is OK (but still may not be compatible)

Also (I go on and on, when the posts get longer!) did you actually Repair Windows after putting the new motherboard in ? (if not, this may be it)

ive tried it in another computer and its works but it is a different style motherboard is all i can remember we had to change a few other parts around too e.g. had one hard drive that was ide and the new motherboard was a sata styled one (this is why i ussually dont let my dad do upgrading on his own) so we had to get a converter for the old one and a new one cos the converter did its job but was a bit sketchy at times.

as far as repairing windows i think my dad did it himself although he doesnt really know exactly what hes doing its all trial and error with him. and he probably didnt write a new bios file. do you think it needs that or just the compatability issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back