DVD RW stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidic4u

Hello, I hope someone can help me. I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop 1525 that I purchased only a month ago. My dvd mysteriously and suddenly stopped working. It isn't listed under 'my computer'. In device manager it has an exclamation point and when I click to see what the error is it reads, 'This device cannot start (code 10)' It says 'Could not load driver software.' I have tried to update the driver but it says that it is up to date. I have uninstalled the dvd and reinstalled it but the problem is still there. I have done a system restore to a point that I know it was working but it didn't fix it. The only other thing I can think of is restoring factory settings but I'm hoping I won't have to resort to that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

click here to go to dell support site.
Click downloads
Identify your computer (or you can give it permission by Choose by Tag/Find My Service Tag let it identify your machine
You'll get a page with all drivers for all devices that are a Dell option for that machine
Check the name of the DVD device (per Device Manager) and find this exact device listed among Dell's DVD drivers (they usually sell several different ones, and they all have drivers listed. Make sure you pick right one)
Download the file
Uninstall the old device
Double click on the driver download file and it will do the rest

Thank you so much for your help. I went to Dell and wasn't able to download the driver for my dvd. The link was dead. I was surfing around and found that others have had the same issue and successfully fixed it with these instructions. I tried it and it worked for me. I will paste them here for you to see. Was this safe to do?

This usually happens when a piece of software is uninstalled and doesn't remove all its connections to the drives, which you didn't even know it had installed. Heres a method that worked for me.

1. Choose Start > Run.
2. Type regedit in the Open text box and click OK.
3. In the Registry Editor dialog box, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class and select the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} key, which appears as a folder.
4. Select File > Export (Windows XP) or Registry > Export Registry File (Windows 2000).
5. In the Export Registry File dialog box, select Selected Branch under Export Range, name the file (for example, CDDVDkey.reg), and click Save to save the file to the Desktop.
6. In the right panel of the Registry Editor, select the LowerFilters line, and then choose Edit > Delete. Click Yes in the Confirm Key Delete dialog box.
7. Select the UpperFilters line, and then choose Edit > Delete. Click Yes in the Confirm Key Delete dialog box.
8. Close the Registry Editor.
9. Restart Windows.

Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back