DVD will not read DVDs or DVD software but will play CDs

Hi all I have a bit of a problem wondering if someone could help, I am running windows7 64 bit It's just coming up to a year old, I had this same problem when i uninstalled Norton but I called someone and they help me remove the key that was stopping the dvd rom from working, I Now am having the same problem scince I uninstalled avg and reinstalled it. I would do what I was told to before but I cannot remember what i have to do again :/ I know it is in regedit some where but not sure on where to go after, Any help or advice would be great thank you. It will play cds but not dvds :/
thanx in advance :)

Do you have a Windows Vista or 7 install disk? Or even a restore disk if its a branded PC. All of those should be DVDs, so see if you can boot the computer from that disk (you won't actually go through any of the install process, just see if it boots from the disk). This will ensure that your dvd laser didn't die. The laser for cd and dvd reading are different, so it is possible that one could die while the other is still good.

You may be exactly right with it being a registry thing, but if you have a bootable disk that is a dvd we can easily rule out a hardware issue.

Hi guys thanks for all you're help I done a system restore to before I had the avg uninstalled, and have cleaned the lens and it's working fine now, I'm guessing it was what I thought, which was the fact that it was more than likely where I uninstalled avg and reinstalled it, exactly the same thing as what happened with Norton, I was told on the phone last time when this happened that Avg does it as well as Norton. Thank you all for your help I really appreciate it :)

Back