DVD writer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I don't know if anyone can helpme with a problem I seem to be having with a new DVD writer I have installed on a computer. When I first installed it it was running in PIO mode rather than DMA mode so was running a little slow. I managed to fix that by reloading the drivers for the secondary IDE channel, but having done that it now seems to be having problems reading discs.If I right click on the DVD icon in my computer and click on open it will show me the files on the disc, but in my computer the dvd icon does not change to show me what is on the disc. If I put a film in to play it will not automatically start up or if I open Windvd it won't play the film. The same seems to happen with cd's. This is a new 22 speed LG writer so should be fine, I did wonder if changing the ide cable to a 80wire instead of a 40wire might help but normally I would not expect it to.
Has anyone any suggestions as to what may be going on?

I have since noticed that the drive has reverted back to PIO mode again.

We have excellent luck with the LG drives.
What software are you using? Just Windows? Or Nero, Record Now, Creator, Express Burn?
Doubt that an 80 conductor 40 connector ribbon cable would make a difference.
Is the drive properly jumpered as Master or Cable Select with all plugs firmly installed? Some cables will plug in one pin off.
This could be a bad drive. Though new, that happens. They are built so cheaply. I would trade out with another drive, old or used, to see if the same configuration makes a difference. IF so, the drive is bad. Otherwise, your software setup is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back