DVD writing too fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the PLEXTOR DVDR PX-755A SCSI Device and can not have access to choose slower writing speeds to make my dvd's unless I use a dvd rewritable disk. My dvd writing programs, DVD Architect and Nero, have slower speeds available, but they automatically block the slower speeds. Is this a problem of my blank dvd's? They are listed as accepting speeds from 1 to 16, so I assumed I would have a choice. Is there a way to slow down the PLEXTOR hardware ? My older dvd writer did not have this problem. The reason to write slow is that many dvd players can't read the faster speed engravings and you get a lot of glitches and freeze frames. I prefer to make my dvd master at the slowest speed possible to have the least errors.
Thanks to anyone who has experience to share on this topic!

That is an issue I've never seen before :)

It may be related to the disk, because I know some disks will forbid the burner (or the software, don't know what reads the information) to burn above a certain speed. You may try other disks just to see.

I think you best bet here is to look and see if you can find a firmware update for that drive.

Well I found it for you pretty easily so here you go: http://www.plextor-europe.com/technicalservices/downloads/firmw_755A.asp?choice=DVD-Recorders

It is probably related to firmware and/or driver. I know windows doesn't usually require a special driver for CD/DVD drives but this may be an exception. Also check to see if you can update the firmware on the drive.

It isn't an exception, I can see how you might think that though since he posted SCSI in the first post. Its actually an IDE drive when you check out Plextor's site and the model number of the drive. Some controllers (like a Promise ATA100 controller onboard some older Asus boards) will show up to XP as SCSI even though it isn't.

It's the firmware that tells the OS and hence the applications what read/write speeds are available. You should flash to the latest firmware. I did a quick search and found this page
http://www.plextor.be/technicalservices/downloads/firmw_755A.asp?choice=DVD-Recorders

If you look under DVD/CD ROM drives in the device manager that should tell you the version of the firmware.

If the problem persists try uninstalling and re-installing from device manager

progress report-still fast

Thanks very much for the link to the plexor firmware updates. I installed the latest one but the 2 programs I use for burning dvd's still opt for the fast speeds and won't go below 6 X speed. Still, maybe that update will be good for something.

I do think it is a software problem because the Plexor DVD engraver accepted slower speeds with both of my current DVD programs when I used a DVD+RW disk which itself had a limited engraving speed of 4X, so the DVD drive communicates with the DVD authoring programs and the blank disks "when it wants to".

I used to have an old version of Nero (but which one?) and it would allow me to pick as slow as I wanted. That feature is gone from later updates of the program, so I could hunt for an old program (needle in a haystack time) and hope it works with my present operating system. I could also look for old blank DVD's which could not be burned past 4 X...but that will be tricky as these haven't been produced for some time now. I have a pile of disks here to try out, lots of old demo disks from a pile of old magazines...and if I have any breakthroughs I'll be back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back