DVI-D (monitor) to HDMI (PC)

fckid212

I just ordered a new PC that supports VGA, DVI and HDMI. My monitor however supports RGB (which I am currently using) and also DVI-D with HDCP. I am wondering, should I go buy a DVI-D (for monitor) to HDMI (for pc) cable or just DVI to DVI cable. I spent a lot of money (imho) on a new cpu, and want to make sure I get the best graphical experience from my gaming. The video card that comes with the cpu is the ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB. I would like to avoid buying a new monitor for now (though I realize I could probably use an upgrade, but I would like to stick it out with my SyncMaster 906BW if I can: http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-syncmaster-906bw/4507-3174_7-32327972.html ) Any suggestions on how to set this up with proper cables would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!:grinthumb

I'd buy a DVI cable. That way your using the best signal you can for gaming. Your graphics and your monitor support this lead.

Cool. I figured as much. I was just afraid I wouldn't be getting the most out of my vid card with out using its HDMI port. But, I'll probably end up going DVI to DVI - Thanks!

As far as I understand (and others have said) DVI is capable of carrying full HD anyway - So its the best connection you can use with your setup. :D

As others have already said, just grab a DVI cable. Unless you have a monitor with speakers or some need to pass audio through your monitor you won't really see any benefit from using the HDMI over DVI.

I wouldn't say you won't really see any benefit: you won't see any benefit at all.

Like previously mentioned, the only difference is HDMI being able to carry sound, which is why its used for TVs. It has a smaller cable though.... which is an insignificant point unless you need to route it through some really tight spots.

Back