DVI-D (monitor) to HDMI (PC)

By fckid212
Aug 1, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I just ordered a new PC that supports VGA, DVI and HDMI. My monitor however supports RGB (which I am currently using) and also DVI-D with HDCP. I am wondering, should I go buy a DVI-D (for monitor) to HDMI (for pc) cable or just DVI to DVI cable. I spent a lot of money (imho) on a new cpu, and want to make sure I get the best graphical experience from my gaming. The video card that comes with the cpu is the ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB. I would like to avoid buying a new monitor for now (though I realize I could probably use an upgrade, but I would like to stick it out with my SyncMaster 906BW if I can: http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-syncmaster-906bw/4507-3174_7-32327972.html ) Any suggestions on how to set this up with proper cables would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!:grinthumb
  2. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

I'd buy a DVI cable. That way your using the best signal you can for gaming. Your graphics and your monitor support this lead.
  3. fckid212

fckid212 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 38

Cool. I figured as much. I was just afraid I wouldn't be getting the most out of my vid card with out using its HDMI port. But, I'll probably end up going DVI to DVI - Thanks!
  4. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

As far as I understand (and others have said) DVI is capable of carrying full HD anyway - So its the best connection you can use with your setup. :D
  5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 9,999   +710

The video portion of HDMI and DVI are the same, hence the ability to use an adapter on the cable. The difference is DVI is only video, whereas HDMI also carries the sound. It's the "M" that makes the difference people.......... "M"ultimedia.

I'm including the truly "headache worthy if you try to read the whole thing" Wiki pages on each interface.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
  6. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,508   +81

As others have already said, just grab a DVI cable. Unless you have a monitor with speakers or some need to pass audio through your monitor you won't really see any benefit from using the HDMI over DVI.
  7. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,572   +9

I wouldn't say you won't really see any benefit: you won't see any benefit at all.

Like previously mentioned, the only difference is HDMI being able to carry sound, which is why its used for TVs. It has a smaller cable though.... which is an insignificant point unless you need to route it through some really tight spots.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.