DVI input works and VGA does not

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneVr6

I will try to be as descriptive as possible. Any questions and I will happily answer them.

I bought a 40" screen to use for my computer to replace my previous 22". Needless to say it was a little bigger than I thought so I went back to my 22". However, now my computer only gets past the Windows (XP) loading bar and then the screen says "Frequency not supported".

I coudln't figure out why this was happening since it worked fine both before and with the giant screen.

To troubleshoot I had a DVI-VGA converter (my video card has both) and it worked perfectly fine when I used that.

I used another 19" in monitor I had lying around so I put it in the VGA port and it worked fine.

I a assume that something happened between the 40" screen and reverting to the 22" but I am still stuck. Of course I can leave it in the DVI slot but I don't want to if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

start the pc in safe mode and remove the video card driver in device manager,,reboot and let windows reinstall the video card.

job done

Safe mode is overkill for this issue, yet it continually gets cited as the fix. Sure it fixes it, but then you have to reboot to get back to a normal environment.

In the future if this happens, do the same F8 thing to get to the menu where you choose safe mode, but instead choose VGA Mode. That is the primary purpose of that mode, and the best thing is once you get to the desktop you can choose a proper resolution and use the computer normally, none of the restrictions of safe mode.

Thanks SNGX. I saw that VGA mode when I hit F8 but wasn't totally sure what it was.

I will do that in the future if this happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back