DVI not working on GFX Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transform

I have just purchased a new monitor and tried to use the DVI port on my graphics card for the first time. However when I plugged it in, it doesn't seem to work. The VGA works fine to the same monitor however.

My card is nVidia Ti4200. Any help is much appreciated.

Did the monitor come with a DVI cable? Did the videocard come with a DVI to VGA adaptor? It looks like the monitor has a DVI-I connector which means it will except a DVI-A (analog) or a DVI-D (digital) signal.

It also looks like the ti4200 DVI connector is a DVI-A connector. I can't confirm this as I cannot find enough info. But given the card was released originally in 2002 I'd suspect it was DVI-A.

If you have a dvi to vga adapter that would allow you to confirm wither or not the analog portion of the dvi connector is working. If you didn't get a cable with the unit and purchased one separately you might want to see which version you got. This link will show you the differences.

http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Digital_Visual_Interface_DVI_Bus.html

It came with a DVI-D connector which doesn't work with my graphics card it seems. Then it has a DVI to VGA which I am currently using and works ok. I have also tested the same DVI to VGA converter from the DVI port on the graphics card to the VGA port on another monitor which works fine.

So you'd have to buy a DVI-I or DVI-A cable. It's probably not worth the effort as the monitor is converting an analog signal to a digital either way. On the bright side if you ever replace you're video card to a newer card you already have a DVI-D cable.

Ok so just to confirm (I'm getting a little confused here) my graphics card has a DVI-A connector? Is this type not used anymore and replaced by the DVI-D/DVI-I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back