TechSpot

DVI or VGA splitter

By DjKraid
Feb 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi

I was wondering, I have this tiny problem, I would want to use more than 2 displays at once and there is only 2 places to connect the displays in this docking station (VGA and DVI). So I was wondering, is it possible to some VGA or DVI splitter and then extend the display so that I could have 3 displays side by side?

2. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 350   +112

As far as I know, a splitter cable will only mirror two displays, and will not support 3 :(

3. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

You can pick up a USB to VGA adaptor.

4. taylor smith

taylor smith TS Rookie

All a video splitter does is display the same image on multiple monitors. It does not support extended desktop applications. You will need a video card with multiple outputs to support extended desktop application.

5. DjKraid

DjKraid TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 536   +21

Any suggestions on some semi good USB VGA thingy? :D

6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

lol I wonder what type of resolution you can get with that(can it max out VGA resolution?)... does USB even have the bandwidth to support this? I find USB to VGA solutions not worth it since they go for like 50 bucks. For that price you might as well just buy a GT 630 for 60 bucks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130792
    It has 2 DVIs and an HDMI

7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

USB to DVI/HDMI adaptors exist, even. Also, OP has a laptop with a docking station, so an internal graphics card isn't an option.

8. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Oh I didnt know it was a laptop.