TechSpot

DVI or VGA splitter

By DjKraid
Feb 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi

I was wondering, I have this tiny problem, I would want to use more than 2 displays at once and there is only 2 places to connect the displays in this docking station (VGA and DVI). So I was wondering, is it possible to some VGA or DVI splitter and then extend the display so that I could have 3 displays side by side?

2. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

As far as I know, a splitter cable will only mirror two displays, and will not support 3 :(

3. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

You can pick up a USB to VGA adaptor.

4. taylor smith

taylor smith TS Rookie

All a video splitter does is display the same image on multiple monitors. It does not support extended desktop applications. You will need a video card with multiple outputs to support extended desktop application.

5. DjKraid

DjKraid TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 634   +14

Any suggestions on some semi good USB VGA thingy? :D

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,035   +914

lol I wonder what type of resolution you can get with that(can it max out VGA resolution?)... does USB even have the bandwidth to support this? I find USB to VGA solutions not worth it since they go for like 50 bucks. For that price you might as well just buy a GT 630 for 60 bucks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130792
    It has 2 DVIs and an HDMI

7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

USB to DVI/HDMI adaptors exist, even. Also, OP has a laptop with a docking station, so an internal graphics card isn't an option.

8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,035   +914

Oh I didnt know it was a laptop.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.