TechSpot

E Ink: no improved monochrome displays this year

By Emil
May 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

I know that versatility is the big selling point, but the more I think about it, I really would prefer to buy a standalone e-reader that I can't play games on or surf the web on, with the exception of Wikipedia maybe in order to look up some things.

A 10" color e-ink screen for about a $100 bucks, and I'm sold.

2. There's something appealing about a device that:
    can run for weeks on a charge
    that you can read without bugging your eyes out
    and read comfortably in the great outdoors
    holds all my books
    simple
    light
    inexpensive
    eschews mind-irritating distracting hyper-media (movies, internet etc) and interactivity, the spacious relaxed environment of the written word and a sketch or two has shown itself to be conducive to awakening the imagination and cultivating inner peace and greater happiness.

Often, less is more when it comes to long-term happiness.

So, I don't agree with the Author's conclusion.

3. If I wanted to read from a tablet/computer screen, I would... as it were, I don't. So if I'll ever buy something to read eBooks, it'll be a Kindle or similar product. Seriously, I don't see why anyone would want to read books from a normal LCD/LED display.

4. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 825   +17

I agree with all those points. I like the e-ink screen for reading. Its so much nicer on your eyes. I borrowed a friends kindle for an afternoon and it was great. Sadly most of the e-books I have looked at are the same prices as the paper backs and that puts me off getting a kindle or something similar of my own. With no manufacturing cost for e-books I think your standard paperback should come in more around ~ $4.99 not $7.99. Thats really the only thing holding me back from getting a e-reader with an e-ink screen.

5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 794   +87

Motion video on e-ink? That's going to look awesome! Lol... not.