TechSpot

E Ink: no improved monochrome displays this year

By Emil
May 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I know that versatility is the big selling point, but the more I think about it, I really would prefer to buy a standalone e-reader that I can't play games on or surf the web on, with the exception of Wikipedia maybe in order to look up some things.

A 10" color e-ink screen for about a $100 bucks, and I'm sold.
  2. There's something appealing about a device that:
    can run for weeks on a charge
    that you can read without bugging your eyes out
    and read comfortably in the great outdoors
    holds all my books
    simple
    light
    inexpensive
    eschews mind-irritating distracting hyper-media (movies, internet etc) and interactivity, the spacious relaxed environment of the written word and a sketch or two has shown itself to be conducive to awakening the imagination and cultivating inner peace and greater happiness.

Often, less is more when it comes to long-term happiness.

So, I don't agree with the Author's conclusion.
  3. If I wanted to read from a tablet/computer screen, I would... as it were, I don't. So if I'll ever buy something to read eBooks, it'll be a Kindle or similar product. Seriously, I don't see why anyone would want to read books from a normal LCD/LED display.
  4. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

I agree with all those points. I like the e-ink screen for reading. Its so much nicer on your eyes. I borrowed a friends kindle for an afternoon and it was great. Sadly most of the e-books I have looked at are the same prices as the paper backs and that puts me off getting a kindle or something similar of my own. With no manufacturing cost for e-books I think your standard paperback should come in more around ~ $4.99 not $7.99. Thats really the only thing holding me back from getting a e-reader with an e-ink screen.
  5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Motion video on e-ink? That's going to look awesome! Lol... not.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.