E-machine AGP Video card help

By 87gsxr711
Feb 15, 2007
  1. I know it's a piece of crap but it is all I have right now. I want to put an AGP card in my W2247. It has an FIC AM37 Motherboard with a 4X AGP slot. Here is my question/issue. The 4X slot looks very different than most slots I see on other MB's and very different than most AGP cards I see. It is a very short slot with no divided sections. Here is a picture, not of my slot, but this is what mine looks like. Can someone recommend a 126MB AGP card that will work for me. Not looking for anything real serious. This is my kids computer, 4 & 7, so they aren't playing anything that requires that much horse power yet.

Attached Files:

2. dmill89

dmill89 TS Guru Posts: 475

Well first of all you will need a new powersupply (E-machines PSUs have a tendency to die and take the motherboard with them). I recomend this one:

Here are some recomended video cards for your needs:

All of these cards are 256 mb but they don't cost much more than most 128 mb cards.
  3. 87gsxr711

87gsxr711 TS Rookie Topic Starter

dmill89 -

Thanks, I will definately replace the PS, I actually already have one. A few more questions. All of the cards in the links have a gap or "key" in the connector. My slot does not have a "key", does it matter? My slot also does not have the locking lever to fit the into the locking tab on the card. Will a card with the locking tab fit into a slot that does not have the locking mechanism? I certaily don't want to spend $50-$100 on a card that won't fit.

Thanks again.
  4. dmill89

dmill89 TS Guru Posts: 475

I don't see any problem. Many older slots don't have the locking leaver. Your slot doesn't have a key because It can take 4x/8x cards as well as the older 2x/4x cards. The key is to prevent cards fron being installed in incompatible slots which is not a problem for you.
  5. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

I can tell you from the picture that it definately an AGP slot, being set in and black.
  6. eroz

eroz TS Enthusiast Posts: 76

I also have an Emachines FIC AM37 motherboard. I recently bought the Radeon 9600XT. My MB had the key, but the card works great. No problems.
  7. cfitzarl

My friend has an eMachines running of an FIC (First International Computer) motherboard. It is model #T3256, although it does have a notch in it.
  8. 87gsxr711

87gsxr711 TS Rookie Topic Starter

You guys rock

Thanks for all the help everyone. One last question. Since you are saying this is a 4X/8X slot, does that mean ANY 8X AGP card will work. For example a Radeon 9800 Pro. Or does it have to specifically be a 4X/8X card. I thought I understood all cards to be backward compatible, and therfore any 8X should work, but wanted to verify that with the group who knows.

I appreciate everyones input.
  9. cfitzarl

An AGP 8X card can fall back onto a 4X slot; that's all it's really saying. It's compatible with both.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.