E7400 vs. E8400

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently putting together a new machine which will be used as a software development box. Some of the applications I'll be running will be Visual Studio, Eclipse, Flex builder, etc. This will also occasionally be used as a general PC, but I don't expect to be doing any kind of gaming on it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the E7400 vs. E8400? Even though I've read a lot of positive things about the E8400 processor, I'm wondering if it is overkill for what I will be using the machine for.

the e7400 should be fine for what you want to do, although I'd recommend at least a quad 6600 if you're doing those type of things.

The major thing that might recommend the E8400 is it's ability to run virtual machine software.
However, you should endeavor to determine if the software you're going to use has been optimized for multi-processor pro workstations. If you programs are, then Smash is correct and you should investigate the possibility of going with a quad core CPU. such as the Q6600. Depending on the age of the motherboard you're using, I'd determine which CPU would be "plug and play", to avoid any unnecessary BIOS updating.

Plan now to avoid disappointment or frustration later. You may not know where you will go with software development work or learning... so spend the few extra dollars for equipment that will give you the freedom to do what is needed later. Investing in the future is just plain smart... if your currentthe wallet can support the investment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back