EA founder: Apple heading towards inevitable decline

Emil

Staff

Electronic Arts (EA) founder Trip Hawkins believes Apple is headed toward a decline. It's of course perfectly reasonable to assume that Apple, like every company before it, will not dominate the markets it's in forever, but Hawkins sees Apple's decline as beginning relatively soon.

"If you look at any institution in history – look at the Roman Empire – anything in history, and what it looks like when it's peaking," Hawkins told Edge. "Look at Apple, and how can you say it's not peaking? The CEO is still alive, let's start there. They invented this tablet thing that's going to be really big. They've done really well by reinventing the phone. They breathed new life into the Mac. They've got this super-high marketing. All these things are about as good as they ever can be – how much better can it really get? The thing is, it may take another year or two before it starts to decline, but it has to – everything does. Everything revolves so much around Steve, and no matter how good his lieutenants are, they're not Steve. None of us is going to live forever, though I hope he lives for a really long time."

Hawkins is no longer at EA: he is currently working at a video game development company called Digital Chocolate, which he also founded in late 2003. The firm focuses on developing games for handheld devices, so Hawkins' opinion comes from his work on Apple's iOS platform. He has no plans on ditching said platform, but he does wish Cupertino wasn't so insistent on having a closed system.

"Digital Chocolate's games will always be in the App Store," Hawkins said. "But I think it would be an incredibly positive thing for the industry if Apple decided to support all of the web standards, because then Apple could be the best about everything. Right now they make a conscious choice. They want you to be in the App Store rather than the browser, so they cripple the browser. They've created this outlet and they had to have an excuse to keep you there, so they're like, 'Oh it's nothing against Flash; we just prefer HTML5'. Well, Flash can actually make a really good game, and with HTML5 you can't do that. But give HTML5 another few years to mature, and that could solve the problem. Or Apple could be more generous about deciding to support more de facto standards like Flash, or at least let it run its course."

So we're back to the old Flash versus HTML5 debate. Apple believes that HTML5 is the future. It is probably right, but many don't like the way it is imposing these beliefs on developers that depend on the company's mobile ecosystem.

Of course, Apple's unwillingness to support Flash and its overall closed model has not stopped the company from selling millions of iOS devices. Some would argue the company would be doing even better if it were more open, while others insist that it's this closed system that is what keeps Cupertino at, or near, the top (depending on who you ask).

There's no question that Apple has been doing tremendously well in recent years. Hawkins, however, thinks the company has reached its peak, or will in the next couple of years. What do you think?

Permalink to story.

Win or lose, their patent war will be the beginning of the end. iOS to Android/WP7/BB OS is like, consoles to PC. Very easy choice if you really care about technology.

What does a picture of John Waters in his surprisingly well equipped garage have to do with any of this?

...mysterious buyer purchases Apple, Google, etc. Skynet v1.0 launch on the horizon. Public-at-large oblivious.

...mysterious buyer purchases Apple, Google, etc. Skynet v1.0 launch on the horizon. Public-at-large oblivious.
Steve Jobs, in the launch bunker poses for photos, as Skynet hurls itself toward its date with destiny atop a blinding torch,with its white hot, diamond studded tower of flame.

Video available shortly @ iTunes.com

I personally think the mire fact that Apple devices like he i-Touch or i-Pod don't support "flash" should be grounds enough for the downward spiral of Apple.

I personally think the mire fact that Apple devices like he i-Touch or i-Pod don't support "flash" should be grounds enough for the downward spiral of Apple.
Yeah well, if everybody boycotted EA that said they were going to, maybe we could get rid of Apple and EA, in one fell swoop.

As far as Trip Hawkins goes, I think the joke that lost the election for Richard Nixon to John F Kennedy, would attach itself nicely to this man.

To wit; "would you by a used car from Trip Hawkins"?

I was thinking exactaly the same thing few days ago..Apple has reached its peak. And my prediction is that Apple will decline significantly after the second half of 2012. Two reasons...Nokia and Microsoft phones, second the birth of Win8 (you may think im a Microsoft fan but im sorry to inform but this is going to matter). Also the majority of people that i know who have an iPhone, bough the phone because of the marketing hype... half of these people are not buying it next time around. And surprisingly lot of people i know want to switch back to classic nokia phones (because its just simple). iphone is Apples bread winner...and frankly the competiotion has caught up and the hype is no more. I wish good health to Steve Jobs but his absence is going to matter, simply becuse how does one who replaces him does better than him? The person who takes over is going to feel as if there is a Mountain on its back. Other than that I dont know if apple can squeeze another product between the iPod, iphone and ipad and the imac. iTV?

Yes they are, since 8 months ago when i joined Apple, they cant be more at their peak then this.

He's throwing off a creepy Vegas used car salesman vibe. That or a creepy British loan shark.

Guest said:
Win or lose, their patent war will be the beginning of the end. iOS to Android/WP7/BB OS is like, consoles to PC. Very easy choice if you really care about technology.

The patent war is sad and pathetic, but they will abuse the system until it gets fixed. I do not think choosing iOS over the others is as easy as you make it out to be though. I currently have both an iPhone4 and an Evo. I use both day to day and I easily prefer my Evo over my iPhone. I do look forward to OTA update on my iPhone, but the cool factor has warn off and im glad its just my work phone.

So all of this bitching because of Flash? Adobe has yet to deliver a decent performing player for any mobile device that's not also a battery drainer, hell they haven't even delivered it for OS X. So why would Apple care about Adobe if Adobe has never cared that much about Apple, they even took years to release an Intel version of their Creative Suite for OS X.

Bottom line if you've used OS X for the last ten years you must know how sucky the Flash player has been on it and there's no evidence this will be any different on any mobile OS.

Flash is still the most unstable, cpu-chugging thing running on Windows, OS X or Android sucking the crap out of battery life and performance. Flash has amazing capabilities and at one time could possibly have won over the web but Adobe didn't play the game right. Silverlight had the same potential but it looks like MS is going to play their same old retarded "only on MS" baloney and cripple its potential rather than serve the consumer with a cross-everything.

If Adobe can get Flash performance and stability up to standard, then fine. Till then we should thank Apple for "helping" them get their poop together.

Like it or hate Apple wants to have enough control over the users experience on Apple devices to be able to guarantee they run well. So far this has been mostly a good thing for the end user.

i think the fact that you refer to it as an i-Touch is a strong indication of your ignorance ...

Nothing really new here; there is a cycle to all things. Figuring out when the cycle begins/ends and where the peak/valleys are can be difficult. Since Steve Jobs has made himself the one link in which all things pass through at Apple; once he’s no longer doing that then Apple will decline. Microsoft had Bill Gates however he slowly worked his way out while allowing Steve Ballmer to succeed him.

The decline can happen. I said 'can'! It was be after Steve Jobs is no longer are Apple. Steve Jobs is Apple and Apple is Steve Job. Who will take over no one know and how will the company be change after Jobs again who know.

I am a Apple hater in all honesty but even I find Mr. Hawkins's comments silly. If Apple is headed towards decline, what about EA? They have sucked for years.

"Trip Hawkins, the man behind the myth...."!
He's throwing off a creepy Vegas used car salesman vibe. That or a creepy British loan shark.
I was thinking more along the lines as being the "Captain Kirk", of drunken tugboat skippers.

(If you look at his picture while trying to picture him in a sweaty "wife beater", I think you'll know what I mean).

Yeah, Hawkins does sound like the angry kid who got passed up for CF in gym class. On the other hand, Apple reminds me of the fox who didn't want the grapes. "Oh, we didn't WANT to woo those extra half-a-million customers who don't feel like dealing with our lack of concern for open software standards."

I love it when these so-called "heavyweights" get called in to voice their opinions about technology. Most of us really couldn't care less. Most of us will buy from NewEgg and will tell Apple to go to hell.

I certainly would. And do.

:)

Another ploy to garner free press by stating the obvious.

"If you look at any institution in history ? look at the Roman Empire ? anything in history, and what it looks like when it's peaking,"

Apple to Developers is "The Marketplace", If she is "Number 1"
may be most developers "Trusted Apple" fairness and honesty
in distributing "Intellectual Property" commerce.

As long as "Honesty" is conserved by App Store in Partnership
with Developers, ... Apple will be "Number 1" in Mobility Commerce !

Whosoever can compete with this "Marketplace" should establish
"The Trust" as "The Fundamental" in business of Software.

Weirdly my mate was on about this a few months ago. We were talking about how high Apples shares were and he said eventually when they peak everyone will pull out quickly to make maximum profit and leave them to die.

Off topic my random question was which company created the ipod... lmao.

What crippling of the browser? Apple supports all of the web standards. Flash is not a web standard, it's a proprietary product. Trip hasn't been involved with any major success since the 1980's, and has presided over massive failures. Why listen

Back