EA gives away thousands of free games in promo code blunder

By Shawn Knight
Oct 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Electronic Arts sent one-off download codes to select gamers this weekend as a gesture of gratitude for completing a recent survey. The code was supposed to allow recipients to download a free game of their choice from Origin but a...

Read more
  2. Gareis

Gareis TechSpot Member Posts: 73   +14

Such a foolish mistake :face palm: I've disliked EA for quite a while, there are so clumsy, and they really aren't worried about customer satisfaction.
    KbloodyK likes this.
  3. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Booster Posts: 411   +42

4. negroplasty

negroplasty TechSpot Maniac Posts: 535   +12

Karma sucks, don't it EA?
    Gareis likes this.
  5. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 368   +68

Is not that those games where must have anyways.
    psycros likes this.
  6. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 893   +98

The real unfortunate part to this whole story is you have to use Origin, those under $20 games are titles that have already made there money. The actual loss to EA is negligible at best.
    psycros likes this.
  7. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,134   +172

Hilarious! Quality controls people!
    Gareis likes this.
  8. Gareis

Gareis TechSpot Member Posts: 73   +14

They always screw us clients over, don't they?
    KbloodyK likes this.
  9. Wow, so far all negative comments about EA when they tried to give something back to those who took their time to complete the survey.

How about saying shame on the 'potentially hundreds of thousands of people' who exploited EA's lack of security for personal gain.

And then you all wonder why DRM has become a way of life.
    I hate people...
  10. Thanks for providing the first sensible comment. All the "OMG they left the front door open, let's all grab what we can"-people should consider their moral standpoint before pointing fingers at EA.
  11. The holy joes strike again, every thread on this( and while the code was valid ) were full of holy joes telling us its bad to steal, feck off, if its free its free, not very often anything is free so people take the opportunity when given.

Its great we have holy joes, so in a time of need those of us with cop on can just grab their food/clothes( when the impending zombi apocolypse occurs )
    Gareis likes this.

12. mrtraver

mrtraver TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 228   +9

I'm one of those unlucky suckers who completed the survey but did not get to use the code. Silly me believed them that it was good until 10/21.

I did try to use it the same day, but the only game I wanted "batman: arkham city" was not eligible. I decided the next day to go ahead and get C&C4, but I got the message "invalid promo code" so I submitted a ticket to EA. After reading this article, I assume I am never going to see it.
  13. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Nice windfall.
  14. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 671   +202

Headline should've read, "EA Gives Out Bad Games for Free, Saves Time Searching Torrents".
    KbloodyK likes this.
  15. valentyn0

valentyn0 Newcomer, in training

u just went full retard...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.