EA launches two games on Ubuntu Software Center

Leeky

In a rather unexpected move, Electronic Arts has added two web-based game titles to the Ubuntu Software Center of the popular Linux distribution, and although they're far from the newest games, Linux users will likely welcome Command and Conquer Tiberium Alliances as well as the Lord of Ultima with open arms.

Before Linux fans get too excited, it isn't the full game installation, but rather a loading web-app. That said, the move does suggest that the game developer has potentially spotted the currently untapped opportunity of using Ubuntu Linux as a another channel for delivering its content.

linux ubuntu gaming ea games on linux linux gaming

Both games are compatible with Firefox 4.0 or later, as well as Google Chrome, and are already freely accessible from the internet. "While some may focus on the fact that these are loading web apps, the really exciting opportunity here is that EA have identified Ubuntu as an exciting channel to deliver their content. I would like to encourage our community to welcome EA to Ubuntu, and download and enjoy the games," said Jono Bacon, a Canonical employee and community manager for Ubuntu on his website.

There is no doubt that PC gaming is dominated by those using Windows, with a smaller proportion on Apple Mac computers. While games on Linux do exist, the open source platform is yet to make any real impact.

It will be interesting to see how this progresses, especially with the recent announcement that Valve is working on a source engine and a port of its massively popular Steam service for Linux, which will also see the release of Left 4 Dead 2 on Linux. With two of the biggest game developers both exploring Linux options it's possible users will see more games begin to appear.

Image credit: H-Online

Permalink to story.

Wow, the Linux platform will really take off now!

/sarcasm

Don't you see?! Companies don't give a **** about Linux. No, seriously. They love Linux for enterprise, but for desktop it is just an afterthought. With AMD and Nvidia progressively dropping support for some video cards on Linux, third-party software not being properly ported to Linux, and the almighty DirectX being prioritized over OpenGL by developers on their engines' creation, true (as in hardcore) gaming is nothing but a pipe dream for Linux.

The very few games that work (because they were made for Linux), work beautifully. Superior to Windows in almost every way. I really want companies to invest in open source, but it's not going to happen. There's not a real incentive other than doing the "right thing." The same reason there's hunger in the world besides companies like Zynga being worth close to $8 billion and bringing in more than $300 million in revenue: profit is king, why invest capital on a platform with little to no return of investment?

Yes, you've heard it before: how can companies seriously dedicate to Linux if there's little incentive? Conversely, how can people convert to Linux if companies don't really support it? It is an endless spiral that will only end with the action of companies such as Valve, that don't care so much about the profit as they do about making (good) software people love to use. That doesn't mean, however, that with the inclusion of Steam on Linux all will be well. The only thing that can truly stop this (or start it, depending on the way you look at it) is whenever a big, EA-like publisher that thinks the same, and a few other Microsoft-like corporations that think the same act accordingly. Sadly, it won't happen.

If your argument contradicts mine, then, whenever it does happen, feel free to tell me "I told you so, *******." Too bad though, as I'll be too distracted playing Battlefield 5 on a Ubuntu machine to give a ****.

Linux is great, wish It had more market share. Take 10% of Windows and give it to Linux.

Way I see it, it takes small steps to get anywhere. Sure right now Linux is getting old games that you have to play through a web app. But that could lead to having more companies interested in designing modern games to play natively on Linux sometime in the future.

To my understanding, companies go DirectX due to "superiority" over OpenGL... + the ubiquitousness of the Windows + the fact that windows goes closest possible to "out-of-the-box" experience...

So Linux has to break this triple chain he is constrained with... Not so easy task... ;)
Ubuntu narrows down the gap on the 'out-of-box" part... ubiquitous will be more difficult to overcome, but if OpenGL gets nice face-lift & fitness workout, than you'll make Linux much more interesting as a gaming platform... Of course, nVidia/AMD(Ati) needs to give their push too regarding the drivers...

all in all, it will pass some more time since we should be able to get nice linux gaming experience...

Back