EA: micro-transactions will be built into "all of our games"

Rick

It appears micro-transactions -- those enticing in-game unlocks and premium items that typically cost a litte extra cash -- will possibly make their way into every Electronic Arts game in the not-so-distant future. EA says it plans to add in-game purchases to all platforms, including PC, mobile and console games.

"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way," EA CFO Blake Jorgensen stated during an investor conference. "either to get to a higher level to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business."

Additionally, EA has built its own micro-transaction back-end. In the past, EA has outsourced its in-game purchase operations to third-party companies; however, the game publisher is now taking ownership of its micro-transaction business. By moving the operation in-house, EA presumes it can maximize profits from future pint-sized puchases -- a business which generates far more than pint-sized profits.

Jorgenson told investors that "The Simpsons", for example -- a game that is free to play -- racked up about $25 million in micro-purchases during Q4 2012. 

Dead Space 3 is a prime example of a AAA game title featuring micro-transactions. EA's inclusion of in-game purchases wasn't without criticism though, sparking debates over the potential for conflicts of interest  (e.g. placing "brick walls" to lure gamers into paying to surmount near-impossible scenarios) and the integrity of a company who releases a $60 title with the foregone conclusion of gamers spending even more. And, If you'll excuse the pedantry, there's also the philosophical matter of a $50 DLC pack being considered a "micro" transaction.

In its Dead Space 3 review, Eurogamer reviewer Dan Whitehead had this to say about micro-transactions: "It's not about crudely forcing the player to spend extra with brick wall obstacles, but a more subtle psychological invitation, leaving the option out in the open, like a box of chocolates tantalisingly within reach". Whitehead continued, "I managed to complete the game without spending any extra and never felt like I'd been held back, but by the same token there were plenty of moments where I fell just short of what was needed."

"It's easy to see how the temptation would be hard to resist, especially when certain resources are conspicuously less common than others." he added.

How do you feel about microtransactions becoming a mandatory feature in EA's upcoming games?

Permalink to story.

And your activation/validation code will now be your credit card number. :)

as for the micro-transactions, in my case, they will be infinitesimally-micro transactions.

How do you feel about microtransactions becoming a mandatory feature in EA's upcoming games?

It means nothing if you don't buy the game. Pay-2-Win is complete crap.

Micro-transactions are the new cheat code. Only this time you 'pay' to win.
<yes, I know I am oversimplifying:) >

Well... not really... if they don't do it right, free-to-play becomes pay-to-win pretty quickly. Done right I think micro-transactions are a great idea. So long as they give you enough game off the bat to have fun, people will think spending a little on an extra item is money well spent.

However, I think the model is more suited to smartphone games where small transactions could easily equal the cost of the app. Call of Duty might very well stink if you had to start buying stuff one level in.

I think this is a more plausible model for the gaming industry than free-to-play. Perhaps the game companies can lower the price of the game in exchange for introducing microtransactions into the game.

Sooo....
I buy a game...just to find out it's an elaborate advertising ploy...to buy things in the game....
I don't get it. What's fun about that?

But EA, your games are not available on my chosen digital distribution platform. Sorry!
Ahahaha! Pretty much sums up most people :p

But anyways, they can suck it. Unless they forgot to say "all casual games" (and even then I can't see it), then goodbye EA!

Terrible idea! Also, what happens if you want to play the game again, do you have to pay for the goodies again, or are they yours to keep after the first ingame purchase?

This stinks! (On many levels). It also takes away the incentive to play real well in the game in order to earn the game money to buy better weapons, like in Far Cry 2 and 3. If all you have to do is shell out some more real money to get the better weapon, like some spoiled rich kid who doesn't have to work), then why play the game in the first place? The challenge is gone! If Crysis 3 were built on this model, I wouldn't be planning to build a new more powerful computer to play it, because I will lose all interest in playing these type of games. Get your greedy head straight EA!

Money, money, money. Games are mostly a waste of this precious human birth anyhow. The more they make it suck, the less I'll feel compelled to waste my mortal time limit.

Win!

But EA, your games are not available on your chosen digital distribution platform. Sorry!
Fixed. (Referring to my inability to buy off Origin Store due to EA's EPIC incompetence - they can't process payments from MANY users' credit cards!).

Google "Payment authorization failed" for more info.

Indeed we will. And as a mildly affluent middle-aged guy, I'll happily pay $10-$20 bucks extra along the way to make a game easier.
I feel as if you are dreaming, if you think 10 or 20 bucks will get you anything. Multiply that by 10 and you will be closer to what the gaming industry wants out of it consumers. Here I am waiting tor Skyrim to come down in price. If they start this in-game crap, I never will buy their games.

EA CFO Blake Jorgensen stated during an investor conference. "either to get to a higher level to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business."

When I read the above statement is consumers want this and enjoy it.

Is there anyone that enjoys this game model, I like to know the reasons?

Sooo....
I buy a game...just to find out it's an elaborate advertising ploy...to buy things in the game....
I don't get it. What's fun about that?

Must agree with you ... If you pay $60 bucks for a game, the least thing to hope is not having to waste/invest more money to enjoy that game.

The move only make sense if all the EA game will be Free-to-play (and not pay-to-win) ...

If not the case, then, bye bye EA :)

Back