EA: micro-transactions will be built into "all of our games"

By Rick
Feb 28, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. It appears micro-transactions -- those enticing in-game unlocks and premium items that typically cost a litte extra cash -- will possibly make their way into every Electronic Arts game in the not-so-distant future. EA says it plans to add in-game...

Read more
  2. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 370   +69

We will vote with our wallets.
    Julio Franco and psycros like this.
  3. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash Newcomer, in training Posts: 123   +34

But EA, your games are not available on my chosen digital distribution platform. Sorry!
    Julio Franco, psycros and m4a4 like this.
  4. And your activation/validation code will now be your credit card number. :)

as for the micro-transactions, in my case, they will be infinitesimally-micro transactions.
  5. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 578   +31

Micro-transactions are the new cheat code. Only this time you 'pay' to win.
    <yes, I know I am oversimplifying:) >
    Julio Franco and psycros like this.
  6. It means nothing if you don't buy the game. Pay-2-Win is complete crap.
    psycros likes this.
  7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,050   +699

Well... not really... if they don't do it right, free-to-play becomes pay-to-win pretty quickly. Done right I think micro-transactions are a great idea. So long as they give you enough game off the bat to have fun, people will think spending a little on an extra item is money well spent.

However, I think the model is more suited to smartphone games where small transactions could easily equal the cost of the app. Call of Duty might very well stink if you had to start buying stuff one level in.
    Littleczr likes this.
  8. Ravik

Ravik Newcomer, in training Posts: 44   +8

+1 to Sniped_Ash. :)
  9. cmbjive

cmbjive TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 495   +82

I think this is a more plausible model for the gaming industry than free-to-play. Perhaps the game companies can lower the price of the game in exchange for introducing microtransactions into the game.
  10. killeriii

killeriii TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

Sooo....
    I buy a game...just to find out it's an elaborate advertising ploy...to buy things in the game....
    I don't get it. What's fun about that?
    psycros likes this.
  11. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 517   +138

Ahahaha! Pretty much sums up most people :p

But anyways, they can suck it. Unless they forgot to say "all casual games" (and even then I can't see it), then goodbye EA!
    psycros likes this.

12. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,887   +352

Absolutely nothing. Its basically spending money so you can spend more money later on.
    psycros likes this.
  13. Terrible idea! Also, what happens if you want to play the game again, do you have to pay for the goodies again, or are they yours to keep after the first ingame purchase?
    psycros likes this.
  14. This stinks! (On many levels). It also takes away the incentive to play real well in the game in order to earn the game money to buy better weapons, like in Far Cry 2 and 3. If all you have to do is shell out some more real money to get the better weapon, like some spoiled rich kid who doesn't have to work), then why play the game in the first place? The challenge is gone! If Crysis 3 were built on this model, I wouldn't be planning to build a new more powerful computer to play it, because I will lose all interest in playing these type of games. Get your greedy head straight EA!
    killeriii and psycros like this.
  15. Money, money, money. Games are mostly a waste of this precious human birth anyhow. The more they make it suck, the less I'll feel compelled to waste my mortal time limit.

Win!
    psycros likes this.
  16. cmbjive

cmbjive TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 495   +82

Don't you already do this when you want to buy downloadable content?
  17. mevans336

mevans336 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

Indeed we will. And as a mildly affluent middle-aged guy, I'll happily pay $10-$20 bucks extra along the way to make a game easier.

If we weren't the majority, they wouldn't be pursuing this.
  18. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,147   +172

Fixed. (Referring to my inability to buy off Origin Store due to EA's EPIC incompetence - they can't process payments from MANY users' credit cards!).

Google "Payment authorization failed" for more info.
  19. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,846   +887

If they implement this into Battlefield 4, I am not getting it.
  20. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TechSpot Guru Posts: 676   +41

I just won't buy EA games that's pretty easy to do, quality keeps decreasing...good going EA!
  21. complexxL9

complexxL9 TechSpot Member Posts: 30

Goodbye EA games :)
  22. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,823   +1,435

I feel as if you are dreaming, if you think 10 or 20 bucks will get you anything. Multiply that by 10 and you will be closer to what the gaming industry wants out of it consumers. Here I am waiting tor Skyrim to come down in price. If they start this in-game crap, I never will buy their games.
  23. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 571   +98

That's cool 'cause I wasn't planning on spending any money with EA. :D
  24. wcbert

wcbert Newcomer, in training Posts: 71

EA CFO Blake Jorgensen stated during an investor conference. "either to get to a higher level to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business."

When I read the above statement is consumers want this and enjoy it.

Is there anyone that enjoys this game model, I like to know the reasons?
  25. javierkaiser

javierkaiser Newcomer, in training Posts: 16

Must agree with you ... If you pay $60 bucks for a game, the least thing to hope is not having to waste/invest more money to enjoy that game.

The move only make sense if all the EA game will be Free-to-play (and not pay-to-win) ...

If not the case, then, bye bye EA :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.