EA: One third of all PS4 titles sold to date are published by us

Russ Boswell

Electronic Arts is reporting that it has published a third of all PlayStation 4 games sold so far. EA COO Peter Moore used Twitter to break the news, boasting his happiness in the following tweet:

Gamers are speaking…our week 1 estimates show that 1 of every 3 #PS4 games sold is an @EA game! #FIFA14 #Madden25 #BF4 #NeedforSpeed

— Peter Moore (@petermooreEA) November 19, 2013

This seems like a pretty impressive feat at first glance, but a closer look reveals that this accomplishment may not be as astounding as it sounds. Consider that 11 on-disc launch titles were released with the PS4 last Friday and of those 11 titles, four were published by EA. These titles include Madden 25, FIFA 14, Need for Speed: Rivals, and Battlefield 4. That means that EA published almost half of the physical games ported at launch, making it a much less impressive retail accomplishment in that perspective.

Still, we aren't taking anything away from the company, and it's great for them that they're seeing such solid sales. We also don't know if this pertains to just physical copies of games, or if it includes all of the digital launch titles that also released with the system last week. If the latter is the case, then this is definitely a bigger accomplishment. It's still early to gauge the company's success as there are no software sales numbers as of yet, but we'll keep an eye out for how things progress in the next-generation console wars.

Permalink to story.

I think hes really just thinking about how much many that is, not the comparison to other games xD

It's shocking, because gamers don't like EA due to their history. But it's a week old system and there isn't many choices. Captive audience much?

I mean, I hate EA as much as the next guy. But isn't 4 out of 11 titles closer to a third than a half? I mean EA would have to release a title and a half to be 50% whereas any other company would have to release only 1 title for EA to be at a third.

So, practically EA was responsible for a "third" of the launch titles and came out with a third of the sales.

^ 4 out of 11 is closer to a third, but the article is speaking about how many copies total, not by title...

Golf Clap.

Thanks EA for reminding why I don't have a PS4 now.

Can't wait for Destiny. Damn... I need to play Infamous 2 soon.

EA can buy out just about any developer smaller than they are and put they're name on it, Dice and Criterion are still standalone developers, just under EA as a publisher. The ladder not so much anymore, but DICE is, hence why Battlefield is actually a game worth playing. The rinse repeat Madden and FIFA franchises are barely worth mentioning, and Need for Speed has long since had it's day in the sun, another example of EA taking over a smaller developer and ruining them.

And for the record 4 out of 11 isn't much to be proud of, you have 4 games, 1 good game, 2 mediocre sports games and a pos racer... Yes, you brag Peter Moore.

EA can buy out just about any developer smaller than they are and put they're name on it, Dice and Criterion are still standalone developers, just under EA as a publisher. The ladder not so much anymore, but DICE is, hence why Battlefield is actually a game worth playing. The rinse repeat Madden and FIFA franchises are barely worth mentioning, and Need for Speed has long since had it's day in the sun, another example of EA taking over a smaller developer and ruining them.

And for the record 4 out of 11 isn't much to be proud of, you have 4 games, 1 good game, 2 mediocre sports games and a pos racer... Yes, you brag Peter Moore.

EA bought DICE, and EA forced DICE to release BF4 unfinished to beat CoD Ghosts.

http://bf4central.com/2013/11/ea-pushed-battlefield-4-quality-control/

EA bought DICE, and EA forced DICE to release BF4 unfinished to beat CoD Ghosts.

http://bf4central.com/2013/11/ea-pushed-battlefield-4-quality-control/

WOW, Case and point, EA ruins good developers in the pursuit of profit. Wasn't aware it was that bad for DICE too now, I was already aware of their bullshit practices with other games, but just had a slimmer of hope BF4 wouldn't get as tainted. Looks like waiting to get it was a good idea after all, might just avoid it all together at this point, I really don't appreciate what happened to BF3 and it's server browser using my Internet browser...

Back