EA opens beta of free-to-play Command & Conquer MMO

By Jos
Mar 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Electronic Arts has announced that its upcoming free-to-play game Command & Conquer Tiberium Alliances is now in open beta. This latest entry in the company's Play4Free portfolio is a browser-based…

Read the whole story
  2. Even for free I want nothing to do with anything EA.
  3. well the graphics look like the original .... im a big fan of C&C i have them all but not sure i will play this
  4. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Evangelist Posts: 594   +50

I'm probably going to pass, but I am WAY stoked for Generals 2.
  5. Ea80

Ea80 TS Rookie

The last c&c was very Disappointing
  6. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,937   +157

Seems like tribal wars or kings age but with cc, looks like a great waiting in the doctors office game.
  7. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 726   +224

I'm fully agreeing with this. I've lost all trust in EA and cannot support any further products.
  8. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,824   +876

If I don't have to use origin then I will consider it. I love and own all of the C&C games(last one was pretty bad). Anyone play the windows 95 demo of the first? I remember downloading the version with no cut scenes just because my hard drive wasn't big enough lol!

FTP games just aren't fun to play. They should do something like blizzard did with the Diablo series, pay once play for free. The limitations put in games that allow them to be free to play interfere with gameplay too much. So much so that it doesn't matter if it's a good game.

It doesn't seem like C&C will adapt very well to an MMO, EA doesn't seem like the kind of developer to pull it off either. I just think they will not be able to keep enough elements of the previous games to keep the magic alive for gamers.
  9. EA isn't a dev they're a publisher.
  10. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,824   +876

They're both. They acquired Westwood in 2003 and now work under the name of "EA Los Angeles" and "EA Pacific." Those are the former locations of WestWood studios. I guess that's a grey area but I consider them a dev.
  11. I miss the magic of westwood But I still play zero hour
  12. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,885   +644

I have got all c&c games, right back to the original, even the FPS they did, and the only one I still play (at LAN Party's too!) Is red alert 2 with yuri's revenge expansion. That's how I roll right there! However I find myself swaying more and more to play Company of Heros these days over red alert 2 for my RTS fix, or the original supreme commander depending on mood :)
  13. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

Been playing this now for a few days and while it's entertaining in its own way, it's in no way a real MMORTS. It's more liking to a traditional social networking game where you farm up resources to engage in different activities or you just buy them. I am disappointed that EA and Phenomic didn't actually try to make something unique and more traditional to what C&C fans expected. Guess for anyone interested in a real MMORTS will have to wait for End of Nations.