EA shelves Medal of Honor franchise after weak sales, reviews

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Following weak critical and commercial reception, EA has decided to yank the Medal of Honor brand from its shooter rotation. Despite receiving generally mixed reviews among critics and consumers, the franchise's 2010 reboot still managed to sell more than five million copies, making it relatively easy to justify a follow-up.

Unfortunately for EA, that project -- last year's Medal of Honor: Warfighter -- didn't earn anywhere near as much as analysts expected, selling only 300,000 copies in its first week. Along with poor sales, the title was met with largely negative feedback, with many reviewers noting its buggy, uninspired gameplay and dull story.

EA admits that "Medal of Honor was an obvious miss," but the company insists that the game was "solid" and its focus on "combat authenticity" simply didn't resonate with players. "Critics were polarized and gave the game scores which were, frankly, lower than it deserved. This one is behind us now," EA COO Pete Moore said.

Of course, there's also the chance that Medal of Honor bombed because it's part of an oversaturated genre dominated (for better or worse) by Activision's established Call of Duty franchise, but you'll never hear that from EA. If (when?) the property is revived, we assume it won't be just another modern military shooting gallery.

In the meantime, it sounds like EA still plans to ship one major shooter each year. For 2013, it seems like that'll be the company's third-person co-op shooter Fuse (previously titled OverStrike), which is due in the second quarter, unless Battlefield 4 ships quickly after its expected beta later this year. It's also worth noting that the company has a mystery sci-fi shooter being developed by Respawn Entertainment, the studio founded by former Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella, which is probably on track for 2014 or 2015.

Permalink to story.

"Critics were polarized and gave the game scores which were, frankly, lower than it deserved. This one is behind us now,"

What a load of bull, they tried the same junk activision did by rebooting an established game and made it worse and worse each time. Of course after you trash something enough people will just give up on it.

We played MOH 10+ years ago all the time and it was great fun! Queue 2010's version I bought it without hesitation and played it for a few hours and never again. The game just was not fun, and that should be the #1 criteria for any game.

Bf4 is a great game but it leaves allot to be desired. I mean now that allmost but all the expansions are out we get allot of map variety that I like.

But I did not like how I had to pay as much as another game for the expansion and some trash dog dags for the premium service. And still we did not get a captain like we had in bf2.

If only they would make a mad editor/map maker for bf3. I believe console gamers are hodling us down, they make more profit with consoles but the hardware is outdated.

Yep I played MOH Warfighter for about a week and lost interest fast. So not worth it. Had high hopes for it after passing on the previous one. Nothing but a rip off of BF3 and COD with tons of hackers.

90% of my play time goes to first person shooters, but I couldn't get excited about the last two installments of the series. Obviously I'm not sad to see the series go, but at least this means more focus can be put towards future titles.

I must be in the minority here. I really like the multiplayer. The main game (which is weak) is not the reason I bought the game. This game is a nice balance of the action and authenticity. I like the customization of the weapons and the different units. To me, it's the game play BF3 should have been on the ground troop level.

I thought this game's multiplayer had some promising aspects, too. I was hoping they'd iron out the kinks, get rid of the bugs, make improvements where necessary.

The graphics were really good.I would have forgiven the rather bland campaign had the developers attempted to ensure that AI movement was at least smooth and consistent so as not to take away from all that sweet DX11 goodness. It was sort of jarring to see AI's "float" from one spot to another, or else spin their heads around 360° like the little girl from "The Exorcist".

Maybe I should try it... I like "combat authenticity". I like realism. I don't like it when developers "balance" weapons and take away their real life behaviors and abilities. If you are going to use real weapons that exist in the real world, the game should simulate those as close as possible. If you want to balance and tweak crap so everyone is supposedly on an even playing ground, then make fictional weapons.

Grrr!!! /rant

Littleczr, you do indeed have the option to edit. You just enter the forum side of the comments and use the edit button.

It was hardly marketed, no matter how good (or bad) a game is, it needs to be marketed well.

Yeah, I didn't know about it in Australia until it was out. It was also released at a cheaper price, which they could have marketed the hell out of.

Back