Early Intel Core M benchmarks look very impressive

Shawn Knight

Staff member

I spent some time over the weekend detailing the recently announced Intel Core M platform, the fanless processor that’ll power mobile devices from at least half a dozen manufacturers later this year. The one thing that was missing in our coverage was benchmarks simply because none had been published yet.

That’s all changed, however, as the crew over at Hot Hardware caught up with Intel during IDF 2014 and managed to get the scoop on some benchmarks of the chip in question.

The test bed on hand, a 12.5-inch Windows tablet running a Core M 5Y70 processor, turned in some impressive numbers. In Cinebench R11.5, the system scored a 2.48 in the multithreaded CPU test. For comparison, AMD’s A10 Micro-6700T chip completed the same test with a CPU score of 1.5 while Intel’s Atom Z3700 earned a 1.47 and the Intel Core i3-2377M scored a 1.43.

intel core benchmark scores released intel cpu chip benchmark haswell core m

The Core M tablet completed the SunSpider JavaScript benchmark with a score of 142.8 (using Internet Explorer under Windows 8.1) which is much higher than they’ve seen from any other ultra-mobile platform.

In Futuremark’s 3DMark Ice Storm Unlimited test, the slate turned in a score of 50,985 –  that’s more than twice that of a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 series chip according to Intel. Nvidia’s Tegra K1 processor in the new Shield tablet completed the same test with a score just north of 31,000, they said.

If these early benchmarks are any indication, Intel certainly has a powerhouse on their hands with the Core M. Of course, we’ll reserve final judgment until we get a chance to bench the chip ourselves.

Permalink to story.

more than twice that of a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 series
Excuse me, but this is too vague, you need to be more specific which version. There is way too much performance difference between 801, 805, 808 and 810.

And considering that M-series is not on the market yet and will be released the same as 810, that's the only version to compare against. And something tells me there is no way there will be that kind of performance difference.

Oh wait...
...according to Intel
Isn't this just a typical marketing BS from Intel, comparing the latest chip of their own with an old one from competition in some select tests...

I'd love to see this Core M 5Y70 trying to outrun Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810...

Last edited:
Who is going to play Crysis on a tablet? Even though the question may still be relevant where tablets are concerned, I find it a bit silly.

The whole idea is for the question to be taken as silly, since Crysis was a benchmarking tool used by far too many when buying computers back in the day "Will it run Crysis?" "Yes" "DEAL!".

It was more the thought of playing Crysis on a tablet I found silly. Not the humor behind whether the hardware would actually run the game.

Point for Kibaruk. By reading some of the answers to my post above, I have to admit that facebook's attempt to introduce "satire" tag to posts containg irony/sarcasm it is not without merit...

What are the odds of one of these showing up in a sub $300 device? sub $200 device? im curious if I should wait to get a full windows 8.1 tablet until these.

Really exciting to see a good push from Intel in the low-power mobile sector. It will force more competition.

I don't really get the whole Core M series. Where is it supposed to live in the product lineup? What's the price going to be, and does this just make the Atom processors irrelevant? I hear that Cherry Trail is going to be a big bump over Bay Trail, but wouldn't that just eat into the Core M series?

Back