ECS expects to ship 17.5 million motherboards in 2009, 20% growth in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS) expects its own-brand motherboard sales to remain flat at 7 to 8 million units during 2009, but foresees significant growth next year, according to VP of ECS' channel business, David Chien. The company will expand its mid-range and high-end product lines, and plans for a growth of 20%, with a total of 8.4 to 9.6 million shipments.

With OEM motherboards included, ECS plans to move 17.5 million units in 2009, down 17% from 21 million in 2008. The loss is mostly attributed to stiff competition from rival motherboard makers like Foxconn and ASRock. The company noted that about 80% of the motherboards sold this year were Intel-based, while the remaining 20% were for AMD platforms.

Earlier this year, ECS set a goal to ship four million notebooks in 2009, but with sales for the first three quarters totaling less than 2.5 million units, the company may not meet its target.

Permalink to story.

20% is a HUGE number to forcast growth by. I have no idea exactly how they plan on doing this. Setting such high targets can spell disaster when they fail to meet the expectations of shareholders.

shalimar said:
Big growth from ECS... now if only they could improve their quality by the same amount or more!
If you want better quality go with ASRock. They have some really great and cheap MB's.
ECS sells more MB's in the business sector as they are cheap and they don't need to be special (eg: 24 power phase, better overclocking capability, etc), just to be reliable. Also the growth ECS is expecting is mostly due to the fact that many companies will buy new computers with windows7. The boom in computer sales we're seeing now will continue for a while, especially now during the holidays.

ecs makes very stable and reliable boards, i'm not surprised
its a company that has made alot of oem boards before getting into mainstream...
they will surpass asus in 2 years!

It is nice to see what the financial crisis has done. First Acer wants to take out Hp, now ECS wants to take out a lot.

For people like me who are on a very strict budget at the moment...and with the economy I think that's a lot of people, ECS boards are a cheap way to still build a pretty decent computer. I currently have one in my computer because i needed cheap, but still a semi decent board ( I don't care about overclocking). Anyways It's been working great since I got it so I say good for ECS, I hope they reach their goals.

I never really used ECS motherboard before but after reading about it, looks promising. But 20% growth is really big for any company. Best of luck ECS to achieve your goal.

I honestly can't see this happening. I've never been one to think of ECS as having quality boards. I would be more inclined to believe a company like EVGA would increase its share in the motherboard market, especially with their commitment to quality and customer service.

Never heard of ECS... but quality is something which comes as a reputation over time, so let's wait and see.

as one of the manufacture reps myself....

I can see how ECS can do or not, ECS undoubtely makes some reliable motherboards, but unfortunately the company never really builted its branding.

When you sell as much as ECS does, a bad reputation is certainly ready to develope when you have a failure rate of .01% or more. More speficallly a typica PCB board manufacture have failure rate of .05 to 1.5% , including the none defective part sent back to manufacture by users who are unable to trouble shoot problems correctely, to determin a good and defective parts due to resource or knowledge.

unfortunately for ECS, computer user do not talk about, or blog about how great their board is unless they are overcloking with certain boards, they'll generally talk about cpu speed, hard drive size, memory speed, vga card..... etc etc..

but EveryOne complaints whenever they hit a problem.

Here is where it went wrong for ECS:

7 years ago #1 motherboard seller covering low - mid level with help of tier 2( now none-existing ) chipset manufacture.

if they moved in their own brand say 4 million motherboard in U.S. , with return rate of 2% (for those who hate their quality, looking at max here) = 80,000 people.

I am sure out of 80,000 people lets say 70,000 were taking care of well enough to not make any big deal that can influence too much of others buying decision, but they will pass the word around oh I got this and it just didn't work.

Than we are left with 10,000 who might had a worse experience, and 1,000 of that probaly try to tell the whole world!

bad news never go away so as you see, ECS learned and improved their quality over the years i am sure, how else can your survive, unless you have buyer who can trust in your product.

7 years later, ECS quality have gone up significantely, which is why every time a person say i had a bad experience with ECS, serveral other shows up with: ECS is the great cheap and stable, they help out fast or something.

they are still not catch up on all the special gadgit and nifty feature, they are working on them. but really do you need all that overclocking these days? its not guranteed, it can cause unstability, it can take out life expectancy and cost more ! you can easily buy a system at a much lower price if you are not looking to hack it too much.

why ECS can have 20% growth, when people realize like i do, don't pay for what you don't need save it for the next system, in this economy maybe it will benifit them as people start to see sometimes, saving for the next tech that comes out is really the way to go with technology updating every 3 months!

you might spend $200 - $300 more on a great overclockable system. in 6 month, I can probally use the same amount of money and buy something even better at stock speed that kicks your systems *** and not making my system work extra hard at all.

LOL.

I am still on my first Core 2 Duo and I can't find a reason to upgrade...

Well, maybe starcraft 2 ... but thats never coming out...

How does Gigabyte Feel About all of This...?

Well, ECS can do whatever it wants, expand however much it feels like, make all the projections it wants to, God bless them and I wish them well. My next board will be still be a Gigabyte. (As were the last three).

as one of the manufacture reps myself....

why ECS can have 20% growth, when people realize like i do, don't pay for what you don't need save it for the next system, in this economy maybe it will benifit them as people start to see sometimes, saving for the next tech that comes out is really the way to go with technology updating every 3 months!

you might spend $200 - $300 more on a great overclockable system. in 6 month, I can probally use the same amount of money and buy something even better at stock speed that kicks your systems *** and not making my system work extra hard
An undoubtedly a sales rep, judging by the amount of semi-coherent BS and double talk in those 2 paragraphs. Hey, no harm no foul. I used to be in sales too. :rolleyes:

I am still on my first Core 2 Duo and I can't find a reason to upgrade...
Me too, but I'm an only child and "duty calls" from time to time. Actually from day to day for the net, I use a P-4 rig. Of course it does get a tad sluggish with Photoshop Elements , 3 or 4 Explorer Windows, and Firefox with a 100 or so tabs open. See, so maybe I am ripe for an upgrade.
For people like me who are on a very strict budget at the moment...and with the economy I think that's a lot of people, ECS boards are a cheap way to still build a pretty decent computer. I currently have one in my computer because i needed cheap, but still a semi decent board ( I don't care about overclocking). Anyways It's been working great since I got it so I say good for ECS, I hope they reach their goals.

Assuming an Intel P/G, 31, 35, 41, range chipset, and a Matx form factor board, how much do you actually save over say, Gigabyte, 5 or 10 bucks?

What I'm reading here is that ECS is sort of the Funai electronics of OEM computer motherboards. The company that doesn't get sued because nobody knows who they actually are. They'll have to duke it out with Tri-Gem for the title though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back