TechSpot

Egyptian government restores Internet after five-day blackout

By Emil
Feb 2, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Egyptian Internet Service Providers (ISPs) returned to the Internet at 11:29am Cairo time, readvertising routes to their domestic customer networks in the global routing table. Noor Group, the last ISP to disconnect its users from the Web, was the last to return online with a full complement of prefixes as of 12:52pm Cairo time. The ISP therefore had the shortest downtime, given that it was only unavailable between Monday and Wednesday, according to

Read the whole story

2. Welcome back Egyptian Techspot fans!

3. WildEast

WildEast TS Rookie

As an Egyptian myself, aside from carrying a weapon to defend the street, going into loads of protesters and fearing the future, disabling the internet was the worst thing ever :|

4. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

I'm not surprised that cutting off access to the internet didn't work out as well as the Egyptian government hoped. People have always found a way to communicate with each other long before the advent of the internet and its associated technologies.

5. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 482   +8

6. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I especially liked it how various tech companies banded together in order to give Egyptians the means to get information out, or featured news from that area to let the rest of the world know what is happening.

I just hope that whatever changes happen help the country progress further into the global community, rather than devolve like Iran.

7. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 804   +9

8. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

Its funny how blocking the internet actually increased media coverage, now that's an EPIC FAIL

That Conan pic was a classic, hell I'd probably be more focused on working right now if it wasn't for the internet

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.