Either Power Supply or Motherboard(maybe CPU?) on the fritz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in case, these are my specs for a New self-built( for the first time) machine.

MB: ASUS P4P800-E DELUXE ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: intel Pentium 4 3.0E 800MHz FSB Socket 478
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST3120026A 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
ASUS N6600/TD/256 Geforce 6600 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
2GB RAM(4*512MB)
Aspire ATX AS 500w PSU(came with the case)

When I got finished with hooking everying up in the case, I turned on the power and guess what? It turned on for split second and then died down. I tried doing it again and again(for like what seemed like 50 times which... might of caused a future problem...) with different things unplugged and it still always did that. After all that I figured that the problem can be at least somewhat cured if I take out the big 20pin plug and put it straight back in and then it'll fully power up. But sometimes for some reason it goes straight back to powering for a split second and dieing. As long as I disconnect and connect the big power cord it'll power up, but that's not the problem I'm having NOW.

When I DID get it working I'm sure you can imagine my joy that I finaly got it to work. So I went straight to installing Windows XP and then something happened. The computer friggin froze. Restarted and in the middle of the installation it froze again. Repeat like 2 more times and then I've finally got XP installed. Only thing is is that it, of course, it froze most the time and it would usually only take like 3 or 4 minutes til it freezes. Now it's so bad that I can't usually can't make it the desktop and if I could it would only freeze a few minutes later.

As right now the problem has gotten worse in that the computer now refuses to boot if the anything is plugged into the Primary IDE port(which is ,by the way, right next door to the 20pin power socket). And when it rarely, but sometimes boots with a cable in the PRI_IDE port it just does those freezing antics all over again. I Put the HDD cable back in and it doesn't boot up. It won't boot up even if the connection to the HDD is off(When the cable is only connected to the PRI_IDE port) so I don't really think the problem's the HDD.

Of course I can't start Windows XP without the harddrive so I can't use the computer yet. In fact all I've been able to do with my selfbuilt computer so far is activate XP(over the phone cause of the freezing problem) and install the Nvidia driver. Anything else I tried the computer freezes before or during the process. I'm using my mother's(very weak by comparison, but at least actually working) computer right now if you're wondering.

Oh and by the way, the ASUS's POST bios keeps on telling me that 'Overclocking failed! Please enter Setup and re-configure your sytem'....

I never even TOUCED the Overclocking settings in the bios, and if I check the settings it's always still on 'Standard' and not any of those 'Overclock %5/%10/etc.' settings. So could it be my CPU maybe?

All the other IDEs are ok by the way. And I already tried using a fresh HDD cable so that's not it either. Now I'm considering that it could very well be the power supply and that maybe it damaged my motherboard?

Please help. What should I replace or do? Thanks in advance.

Did you use an anti static wrist strap?

Or did you ground yourself by touching the power supply while building the pc. If you didn't take electrostatic precautions you could have damaged the motherboard or other components

Hmmm I did do that as many times as I canremember, but many there was a time that I built up static and forgot to ground myself? I don't really remember.

To me it sounds like something on your mobo is messed up. It might be costly to try another mobo but you may have no choice. Get a second opinion first. Also, 2gb ram, is that really necessary?

I'm not sure I trust the Aspire power supply. Can you try another, perhaps a better brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back