TechSpot

Electronic Arts to shutter more Facebook games soon

By Shawn Knight
Apr 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Earlier today Electronic Arts announced plans to shutter some of their Facebook games in what was described as a difficult decision. The Sims Social, SimCity Social and Pet Society will go offline on June 14, 2013, the company said in...

Read more

2. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,323   +135

Haven't played a single Facebook game, don't plan to.
    I have a vast collection of them in my block list.... why!??!??

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,559   +598

FB games are about the only thing EA can do now and not get (deservedly) slammed.

4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

I played a game on Facebook once, because a cute girl I was interested in played it. The game sucked.

5. The issue with face book games is the monetary model. Once upon a time a company would release a game, host the online servers of facilitate online play at the least. They got the cost of the boxed game and expansions if it was good enough. Roughly $39 per customer initially and up to $20 per expansion.
    Today the model is micro transaction, since they have found some people will drop $100 a month in micro transactions, this has become the target margin number. What they have lost is the volume of players by going after the top margin. Until game companies get back to a realistic profit model, they will always have burst games that have no enduring legs, and I agree with the poster above, EA lost their mojo long ago.

6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

So did the girl. ZING.

9Nails and cmbjive like this.
  7. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

I know the game sucked but did she suck?

9Nails likes this.
  8. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +109

I love the Sims Social. Don't you dare pulling the plug on this EA...

9. St1ckM4n

"The Sims Social, SimCity Social and Pet Society will go offline on June 14, 2013, "

:(

10. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +109

Damn. I spent my youthful hours redecorating and refurbishing my lot. Well at least I didn't have to spend any money for this ...

11. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,953   +162

I played zynga poker for awhile, other then that bleh on intrusive\spamming fb games.

12. St1ckM4n

I played Farmville back in the day. However, I used a speed hack and trapped my guy in the middle of the field... so my farming time was superhuman. :p