Elon Musk demands SpaceX and Tesla employees spend a minimum of 40hrs/week in the office,...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humza

Staff member
A hot potato: In a pair of similarly worded memos sent to SpaceX employees and Tesla executives this week, Elon Musk directed that workers spend a minimum of 40 hours in the office per week or quit. The CEO's stance on remote work was also clear in another leaked, company-wide email to Tesla staff, requiring that they must work in a main company office and not a remote pseudo location.

Whether or not you believe that working from home prevents your colleagues from being productive, Elon Musk certainly thinks his employees at SpaceX and Tesla should return to the office, full-time.

The New York Times reports that Musk emailed SpaceX employees this week, demanding they spend a minimum of 40 hours in the office per week, while those who didn't would be fired. Musk emphasized that senior employees should make their presence more visible, which is why he spent lots of time in the factory with workers on the line. "If I had not done that, SpaceX would long ago have gone bankrupt," he noted.

A similar memo was sent to Tesla's executive staff, in which the CEO mentioned the same in-person 40hr/week minimum requirement for employees who wished to work remotely. "This is less than we ask of factory workers," Musk noted, adding that he will directly review and approve particularly exceptional contributors unable to meet this requirement.

He also made it clear that the office must be where a worker's actual colleagues are located, and not some 'remote pseudo' office. "If you don't show up, we will assume you have resigned," Musk said, further explaining that while there were companies that didn't have such requirements, it also had been some time since they had shipped a great new product.

While hailing Tesla for its achievements, Musk concluded that the company's goal of making the most exciting and meaningful products on Earth won't happen by "phoning it in." The CEO also tweeted a response when asked for comments on his leaked email.

Permalink to story.

So we have to sit through *another* thread in which people are unable to substantiate the alleged increase in efficiency and productivity by working "In office" when most works can just be done remotely?

Or maybe we should just make a few jokes about Elon being so thoroughly despised he has to pull off a Michael Scott move to have some degree of social interaction.

This is only sounds good if the leader himself (in this case Mr. Musk) stays and follows the same protocols that he sets for his employees/workers.

It still doesn't: Musk gets to be the richest person on the planet (At least potentially) for his 40 hours. Most workers get to mostly pay some of their medical bills, their rent or mortgage, car and house insurance, utilities, groceries and they might have some left for a token hobby like collecting star wars toys or something. There might be some traveling chances but again, 40 hr weeks are usually not compatible with taking too much time off so you better not be thinking about more than a very quick in-and-out family or tourist visit 1 to 2 times per year at the most.

This is why we phrase the only real solution to make any 'work' fair is that the workers should also be the owners of the means of production and get an actual fair proportion of the work they put in.

It still doesn't: Musk gets to be the richest person on the planet (At least potentially) for his 40 hours. Most workers get to mostly pay some of their medical bills, their rent or mortgage, car and house insurance, utilities, groceries and they might have some left for a token hobby like collecting star wars toys or something. There might be some traveling chances but again, 40 hr weeks are usually not compatible with taking too much time off so you better not be thinking about more than a very quick in-and-out family or tourist visit 1 to 2 times per year at the most.

This is why we phrase the only real solution to make any 'work' fair is that the workers are also the owners of the means of production and get an actual fair proportion of the work they put in.
If not richer, at least he would know the pain of an employee goes through, and he might revert this pointless decision.

I work to live, I do not live to work. My family comes first. In my opinion, it does not matter wither I am in the office or working from home. What I have observed is that it depends on how good your leaders are. I used to have an amazing boss and I always gave him 110% but he was not strict on where I did my work, just that I got my work done.

And you would not be missed. It isn't personal the same applies to everyone and someone wants your job
For every person that quits because they have to actually show up for work there are 1000's of people more than willing to fill each spot for every person that quits because they feel they should be able to stay at home and work from their. None of this was ever an issue until Covid came along and people got spoiled because for the last few years they were allowed to stay at home and do whatever they wanted to without supervision from their higher up's. That time has passed it's time to put on the big boy/girl pants man or woman up and show up for work like millions of others have had to do.

I do not like Musk but he has a point here.

This is why we phrase the only real solution to make any 'work' fair is that the workers should also be the owners of the means of production and get an actual fair proportion of the work they put in.
So did these workers also have the billions to invest in the multibillion dollar company when it was created. The answer is no so why should they expect to get profits from the company. If they work they get paid simple as that at a fair wage that is able to allow them to live their lives. If you are referring to companies like Walmart that say oh our employee's are our partners thrust me that's in name only there really is nothing gained there those employees make a low wage and really have nothing else to show for the title partner. Probably goes for any other company that uses that tactic to gain employees trust and respect.

Wow, the edgy keyboard warriors are out in full force here, yet missed the main point of my post.

Let me get a woosh meme for you, fearless ones...

Sounds like he will be limiting himself with talent (at least, in terms of non-labour jobs). His loss.
To who ever quits over this..no it's their loss they will be replaced with people more than willing to show up and work every day and those that quit will sit at home and be unemployed it's as simple as that.

It's funny how this has to even be said imo. I mean only in these days with this spoiled and entitled generation of weak weirdos would the expectation of workers going to work be an issue.
I completely believe in a work life balance and that a company should be decent to employees but people have become so lazy and entitled.

No, not really.
Oh but yes there would be have you been out in the work force looking for a job recently. For every local job I applied for there was no less than 100 others going for the same job and that's on a small scale because it's local. For a company like Tesla which is on the huge scale there would be several thousand people wanting the same jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back