Elon Musk says free speech-hating Apple has stopped advertising on Twitter, threatened...

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
In context: Elon Musk has picked a new target for his public wrath: Apple. Most of the tweets posted by the billionaire over the last 16 hours or so have targeted Cupertino, and it all started with the revelation that Apple has mostly stopped advertising on the platform. A move that has prompted Musk to question if Apple hates free speech.

Musk's long-promised reduction of Twitter moderation and his reinstation of banned accounts such as Donald Trump have been worrying advertisers. Several have reportedly suspended or mostly suspended their ads on the platform, and it appears Apple is one of them.

"Apple has mostly stopped advertising on Twitter. Do they hate free speech in America?" Musk tweeted. He followed up with a series of posts criticizing Apple's alleged censorship actions, as well as its 30% cut of everything sold on the App Store. The CEO also asked whether Apple might go after Tesla, too.

Musk also confirmed that Apple has threatened to boot the Twitter app from its App Store. No reason was given, but he later confirmed to a journalist that Apple was making moderation demands.

Both Google and Apple are said to be considering removing Twitter if it becomes a free-for-all with no moderation; Musk has also talked about monetizing adult content on the site, much like OnlyFans. The owner says he will build his own phone if the companies do decide to ban the app.

Apple is said to have been one of Twitter's biggest advertisers, spending over $100 million annually on ads. But the relationship started to look shaky when key Apple executive Phil Schiller recently deleted his account after Musk complained about Cupertino's fees, calling them a hidden 30% tax on the internet.

Being kicked from the Apple store would be a significant blow for Twitter—it's hard to imagine that a Musk-made phone would help things. The situation brings to mind the Parler app, which is currently being purchased by Ye, better known as Kanye West. It was banned from the Google Play and Apple App stores following the Capitol attack on January 6 last year. Parler changed its policies and was reinstated by Cupertino a few months later, in May 2021, while Google only brought it back last month, a full 18 months after the ban.

The Guardian writes that during the week before Musk bought Twitter (October 16 to October 22), Apple spent $220,800 on platform ads. That fell to $131,600 between November 10 and November 16. Expect the amount it spends on ads to continue to decline going forward.

Permalink to story.

Is Musk still the wealthiest person in the world? Tesla stock has dropped more than 50% this year, and he just spent $44B on a rapidly depreciating asset.

The thought of Musk making his own phone is laughable. He must have seen Microsoft's effort to break into that market, and Microsoft had many more resources in terms of money, hardware engineering expertise, and a huge group of software engineers writing software for the platform.

This is why Musk's control of Twitter is so scary. He can put any subject of his choosing into the public domain and control the timing, narrative and heavily influence the perception. It puts his competitors at a major disadvantage.

Here's the truth - neither Apple nor anyone else is under any obligation to advertise on Twitter. Nor are they obliged to host his application if it breaches Apple's terms.

Well, Musk is finally getting all the attention he craves. The only problem is, it's not the type of attention he wants. He wants to be thought of as "a god", while a great many now consider him a "god's a**hole"..

His latest maneuvering is just a rehash of his rantings about how he's going to save humanity with his $100K electric cars. And now there's the ranting about how he's going to "save free speech for the world.

One thing is a constant between the two endeavors. (Musk). "everybody's out to get me, but I alone will prevail for the benefit of all mankind". Many of us would think of that as, "playing the victim card for sympathy and profit".

Last edited:
This is why Musk's control of Twitter is so scary. He can put any subject of his choosing into the public domain and control the timing, narrative and heavily influence the perception. It puts his competitors at a major disadvantage.

Here's the truth - neither Apple nor anyone else is under any obligation to advertise on Twitter. Nor are they obliged to host his application if it breaches Apple's terms.
What should be terrifying you is that apple has enough market control to say "you allow mean things, your apps is not allowed to exist"

People need a viable alternative to Apple and Google OSes/ecosystems. I think Musk is the only one with enough money and balls to build one. Perhaps a Teslaphone running TeslaOS and a Tesla App Store... 😀
First of all, we need more to have mobile OS decoupled from stores and so - I do not mind using iOS or Android IF I can use any front store of my choice and OS is not feeding on my private data. Same with desktop OS - I can use Linux because I have control over it, and I do not mind buying applications for thousands of dollars if needed. But the division line is thick and clear.

And secondly, I don't believe Musk is capable of creating an OS which would be any better. His main goal is to squeeze monies from anything he can, and he does that be enforcing his employees to comply to his vision only. That is not how do you innovate. This can work with already established businesses having issues where strong hand and micromanagement is required to start making monies at any cost possible. That is what he can do, but that is not something a new OS or mobile phone requires.

We have perfectly fine android which works well without any Google integration - Huawei in China is great example of that. It is enough to enable it further to have more open approach and that is something China, Korea, EU, and slowly US starting to see and work towards bringing back competition to that market.

And funny thing he mentioned 30% apple tax (which is total crap, sure) forgetting you need to pay subscription for fully using Tesla car as well...

And funny thing he mentioned 30% apple tax (which is total crap, sure) forgetting you need to pay subscription for fully using Tesla car as well...
All your points are fair and I agree with most of them, but the only real subscription Tesla has is for premium connectivity for $10/mo. The mobile app works with a Tesla for free, but additional data-based features are what you pay for (especially video/music streaming), much like you have to pay for data if you want to use any cell phone to its “full” capability: https://www.tesla.com/support/connectivity

Last edited:
Of course Apple isn't going to take free speech seriously, they have the bulk of their best factories in China (and have a lot to lose). They've already shown that they don't care about anything else but making their shareholders happy, and appearing to be the good guys (with their effective PR).

Heck, I'm still not convinced Musk is fully on board with free speech, considering Tesla also has factories in China...

All your points are fair and I agree with most of them, but the only real subscription Tesla has is for premium connectivity for $10/mo. The mobile app works with a Tesla for free, but additional data-based features are what you pay for (especially video/music streaming), much like you have to pay for data if you want to use any cell phone to its “full” capability: https://www.tesla.com/support/connectivity

You don't have to pay for a subscription for that and can buy it outright at any time just like all car packages, aka that's the alternate not primary method of receiving the feature.

Heck, I'm still not convinced Musk is fully on board with free speech, considering Tesla also has factories in China...
Sure, he sucked out all the tax credits and incentives he could out of the US government and then built a factory in China.

He's building a factory in Texas, but only after Ted Cruz bribed him heavily with the same offers.

In other news, Mike Lindell, (the "My Pillow Guy"), wants to be the chairman of the RNC. Now, if that doesn't scare you more than some bimbo from the Bronx, you need to get your priorities in order.

"The world's richest person versus the world's most valuable company"

Would that supposed to mean something...?!

Sure, he sucked out all the tax credits and incentives he could out of the US government and then built a factory in China.

He's building a factory in Texas, but only after Ted Cruz bribed him heavily with the same offers.
You missed the point. Of all the gov'ts out there, the Chinese will penalize you if you don't listen to their censorship "requests" (the opposite of free speech). Which means a lot of money lost.

In other news, Mike Lindell, (the "My Pillow Guy"), wants to be the chairman of the RNC. Now, if that doesn't scare you more than some bimbo from the Bronx, you need to get your priorities in order.
Why should it, and why should I care? Your priority should be sticking to the topic.....

You missed the point. Of all the gov'ts out there, the Chinese will penalize you if you don't listen to their censorship "requests" (the opposite of free speech). Which means a lot of money lost.

Why should it, and why should I care? Your priority should be sticking to the topic.....
It would seem then, you would have to move to China to have it effect you..

Meanwhile, I of course, should be agreeing with you. You've already proven I don't have, "freedom of speech", if I don't.

You'll have to forgive for the "My Pillow Guy", nonsense. I just got back from reading CBS's "fake news".

BTW, are "world politics" or the CCP's censorship off topic, or not?

Before I forget, it's not your money that will be lost,now is it?

To get directly back on topic, how would you feel if the local supermarket sued you for not shopping there? That's pretty much what Musk is trying to do. In reality, he's just running his yap for attention and publicity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back