Emachine won't POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having problems with my W2040 emachine. It was turned off but plugged in during a storm. It wouldn't PO after the storm so I checked the PS and have replaced it. That got the fans to come on an I can PO/PO using the front button using the hold to turn off but, there is no video and no beeps. It sounds as if the HD is going to start but that doesn't happen. But, the HD does spin. Any suggestions (BTW every thing except the modem is onboard).

PS I tried booting with all components unpugged to get beeps as well>

sounds like your motherboard is fried. E-machines especially older modles aer notorious for fried motherboards because their cheap powersupplies lack overvoltage protection. E-machines are poorly built from cheap components and usually only last about 3 years.I would recomend building your own system with all new parts if you can aford it. If not salvage the working components cpu,ram,HDD,cdrom,fdd,etc. and buy a new motherboard. I would also recomend a new case with universal motherboard mounts so you can buy whatever board you wan't. Unfortuinately you will also have to buy a new copy of windows if you replace the motherboard. Hope this helps.

ps: since e-machines was purchased by gateway thr quality of parts have improved and their powersupplies now have voltage protection but your system was built before that.

Thanks for the info. Sorry it took so long to reply, but I replaces the mobo and psu and was able to recover all data on the system including the OS, since I went with the same IC manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back