TechSpot

Emachine won't start

By jbgonza
Sep 14, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. when i press power only the cooling fan starts. opened it up, no lights on. can it be fixed or is it expensive junk? e machines w5243

2. adiktous

adiktous TS Rookie

try changing your power supply... coz maybe the PSU cant generate enough power to supply the entire unit..

3. jbgonza

jbgonza TS Rookie Topic Starter

i don't want to shotgun and keep buying parts. i also noticed when i plug tower back in, the sockets shoot out sparks. wall or surge protector. i don't know about pc's but would like to learn how to fix it myself.

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

Well. replacing the PSU isn't exactly what I'd call, "shotgunning".

And shooting sparks when you plug it in, isn't normal.On the other hand, a bad enough short would trip a breaker. There is however, a slight amount of draw with the PSU switch on the back of the case in the on position. This might make a tiny arc when plugged in.

The fans running aren't really an indicator of a PSU being good, all it indicates is that there is 12 volts present. Other voltages required can be absent.

So, take this for what it's worth, in an Emachine, it's either the PSU >> OR << the motherboard, or the PSU >> AND << the motherboard..

5. jbgonza

jbgonza TS Rookie Topic Starter

I guess I'll start with psu and post results. thanks for reply

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.