Emachines D5039 MOBO Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got the infamous "cadillac" of computers, an emachine D5039. Fairly certain that the MOBO is shot, no POST, no beeps, but the fans and power up. I plan on replacing the PS also, although it does have the 300 W on it. I'm not opposed to getting a new tower and just scavenging the HD, but I want to check out this route first. Can someone tell me which MOBO's will work with my system. From what I read I gather that I'll have to get a new version of Windows, which is fine because I'm not that cracked up with XP Home, I prefer XP Pro.
Thanks for any help,
Jared

CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 519K 64-bit processor with Intel® EM64T technology1
(3.06GHz, 533MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache)
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home (SP2)2

Monitor: 17" LCD Display (E17T4)
Chipset: Intel® 915GV
Memory: 512MB DDR (1 × 512MB), 400MHz (PC3200)
Dual-channel capable
Expandable to 2GB
Hard Drive: 160GB SATA (7200rpm, 8MB cache)3
Optical Drive: 16x multiformat dual-layer DVD±RW (Up to 8.5GB with dual-layer media)
Write max: 16x DVD±R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 4x DVD+R DL, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW
Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM
Media Reader: 9-in-1 Digital Media Manager™ (Memory Stick®, Memory Stick Pro®, MultiMediaCard™, Secure Digital™, CompactFlash®, MicroDrive, SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card™, USB 2.0)
Video: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (GMA900)
Up to 224MB of shared video memory
Sound: 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio
Network: Intel® PRO 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Modem: 56K ITU V.92-ready fax/modem (RJ-11 port)

I have a T-5026, which is P4 based 3.06 Prescott. When I had the same symptoms you described it was the 300Watt Bestec supply gone south. Soooo, I'd replace that first. All the fans tell you is that you have the 12 Volts working.

My T-5026 is over 3 years old, has the 915 chipset and is going strong. The board is actually a 915GAG. (Matx).

You have to buy a PSU anyway, you might as well try that first.

If he's getting them problems usually when the PSU go the Motherboard goes with it. I had an eMachines T3095, it was less then 2 years old and it did the same problem. I had diagnostics ran on it. As those specs don't help us with picking a new moboboard for you, we need to know type of memory, and what not. Unless you want to order the same exact motherboard from eMachines.

The Intel 915 boards are NOT the automatically blown up boards. That's some other Tri-gem crap. Even if the board is bad, a new decent PSU should have circuit protection.

If had my T-5026 for over 3 years and TWO PSUs, one of which was an Antec.

In some bizarre feat of accommodating everybody, Intel claims that the 915GV chipset takes both DDR or DDR2 memory modules.

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/915gv/index.htm

The Wrath of the Pacific Rim.....

The voltage regulators for the board are located around the CPU. Boards fail because of bad electrolytic capacitors, generaly in the voltage regulator circuits. So, sometimes you can tell if the board is history by looking for burn marks or swollen capacitors in that area.

That said, Antec, Seasonic, and Fortran Source all make decent supplies.
Antec hac a 3 year warranty, which they will absolutely horor.

I finally wound up with an Antec "Earth Watts EA-380" 380 Watts obviously.
This is adequate with the onboard graphics. In my Emachine, they managed to build the 915GAG WITHOUT a PCI-E X16 socket. This limits the expansion capability, I guess that's what they were going for, but God only knows why. Possibly to limit current draw.

Anyway, if they didn't cripple your board the same way, and you think you might eventually want to upgrade the graphics, I'd go with a 400 or 450 Watt PSU.

Anyway good luck, I hope the "Emachines Motherboard Curse" has not been visited upon you. I still enjoy and use (constantly) my T-5026.

I tried to find you a link to a Motherboard manual at Intel. However 915 GV refers to the chipset and not the specific board itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back