Emachines... Imagine that! Shuts off during windows startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raidur

At the moment I am not sure of the exact model or specs of the computer. AMD 2.2ghz cpu 2gb of ram 320gb hd is all I'm sure of (not near the computer at the moment) and it is only about 6-9 months old. Oh yeah, OS = Vista Premium 32bit.

I know you guys get lots of posts for Emachines. I did look through them but couldn't really find any with my exact symptoms. Was trying to keep from buying a CPU/mobo and having to return either if one of the 2 isn't the problem.

SYMPTOMS:
Well, when the vista loading screen starts the computer completely powers off. The same happens with the vista DVD. The DVD loads all the files and by the time the same vista loading screen comes up it completely powers off, without restarting.

THINGS TRIED:
I have ran a memtest86 (3 passes, and I swapped out the ram with some other just in case, same thing)
Loaded the HD on my PC and I was able to load up the vista DVD, did repairs just for sh*ts and chkdsks n stuff, no change. Also ran a WD Diagnosis (yes, the HD is a WD).
Swapped out the PSU with mine and came up with the exact same symptoms.
I'm thinking its the mobo. I do not see any bulging capacitors.
I also tried swapping out SATA cords. No luck.
Cleared the CMOS.

Any help is greatly appreciated guys. Should I just order up the mobo and pray for the best? Could the problem be PSU / mobo / CPU all together or would I have different symptoms?

Thanks!!

-Raidur

have you tried re seating the cpu? it might be a heat problem, but yeah it sounds like it might be the MB god i hate Emachines with a passion.

That is one thing I haven't tried. Would it successfully run a long memtest86 and be able to load the windows files off the DVD and THEN crash on the loading screen? God I would be relieved if that was the problem.

Quick couple questions:

Is it common for an Emachines mobo to go out without the PSU? Are the PSU's in Emachines to this day (6 months ago) still as sh*tty as usual?

I was curious of the $500 price tag for everything the computer came with. I told her I would rather build a PC for her but she wanted it to be simple and ready to go NOW. Plus it would be a little difficult to reach the specs of that PC AND include Vista Premium/LCD monitor/Keyboard/mouse/speakers with it. Well now that I think about it... maybe it wouldn't with how cheap of parts they used. Wasn't expecting a $15 (worth) PSU and a $30 (worth) mobo.

Hi Raidur,
emachines was purchased by Gateway in 2004, before that they were hideous pieces of equipment. the build quality has improved somewhat...but still...ya know...LOL. one of the big problem with them has been as you say PSU's and motherboards, when one goes out it takes the other with it.

Realistically it's wonderful, and even fashionable to hate Emachines simply because the other children do, but even the lousy old ones lasted way longer than 9 months.

Now the f****** Bestec PSU, that's a bit of a different story. Why dontcha check that out before you go all motherboard on it.

Yeah, I swapped the PSU with mine and came up with the same exact issue. Probably going to try re-seating the CPU with some of my Arctic and hope for the best. Then probably go the mobo route. Should I change the PSU along with the mobo?

Yes, you should replace both the motherboard and power supply to ensure that the computer will run trouble free for a long while to come

This is sort of a moot discussion, since a 6-9 month old computer is still under warranty.

If you bought it new, make a warranty claim.

If you bought it used, ask the original owner, (if they're available, obviously), to make a warranty claim.

If it's stolen, then you're SOL.

I have yet to figure out what I'm doing wrong, since my 4 1/2 year old Emachine runs like new.

This is sort of a moot discussion, since a 6-9 month old computer is still under warranty.

I agree...
But now there is only one problem, if the PC has been "played with", the warranty is void.
The claim should have been made at the start, and it most likely would have been dealt with.
It's too late now... :(

Well it has been somewhat 'played with'. I've unplugged the PSU (didn't take it out) and took out the HD and RAM, oh and I've cleared the CMOS. Is that too much to void the warranty? I don't think I broke any stickers when taking off the side panel or anything... She bought it from best buy, do I talk to Emachines or BB about the warranty?

IMHO, yes that would be enough to void the warranty. It's obvious you know what you're doing, otherwise you wouldn't have gone as far as you did. We know that, but PC manufacturers will look for excuses not to cover anything. Static shock can do a lot of damage and if they see Ram was pulled out or peripherals unplugged, no more warranty.
You might still have coverage, you might be lucky, just don't hold your breath...

Kk, I'll go look through some warranty details before I decide to try sending it in. Also, is it plausible
for the mobo to go out on an Emachines without the PSU taking it out?

Well, I was just reading another thread which claims the motherboard fried the PSU, this is all new to me...

With this "New" eMachines, I would suspect both the motherboard and PSU should be replaced. If it is out of warranty, you could replace both components upgrading the CPU and memory at the same time for around $250

IMHO, yes that would be enough to void the warranty. It's obvious you know what you're doing, otherwise you wouldn't have gone as far as you did. We know that, but PC manufacturers will look for excuses not to cover anything. Static shock can do a lot of damage and if they see Ram was pulled out or peripherals unplugged, no more warranty.
You might still have coverage, you might be lucky, just don't hold your breath...

I was told by Gateway (Emachines) that adding RAM wouldn't void a warranty. Point being, that my last Emachine had upgrading instructions in the manual that came with the machine.

The only reservation I have is with pulling the CPU heat sink, that might void the warranty. As would static damage, which you pointed out.

One hopes that nothing was cut, or gouged, and a screwdriver with a good point was used. You are actually allowed to remove the side cover. And remember, if all else fails, play stupid. Play stupid anyway, then they won't think you have enough on the ball to void the warranty.

Well, I was just reading another thread which claims the motherboard fried the PSU, this is all new to me...
This is what happens to everyone, with the notable exception of me. For me the Bestec PSU died on a hot July day, quietly, by itself, without exacting revenge or mutilation on any other components.

Ok cool. Yeah all I did was swap out some ram (and unplugged the PSU, didn't take it out, just used mine from outside the case) and I doubt they would care about me taking out the HD. I have a bit of exp with building PCs so it is unscratched and 'should' have no static damage. This would be great news I'll talk to her about when she purchased the computer.

And yeah... I doubt Best Buy would fix it for a 'discounted' price. Unless by discounted you mean only $200 for labor and $300 for the motherboard (probably charge me god knows what for a new windows vista, if changing the mobo destroys the license), and around $60 to diagnose. That would be about the usual from what I've read about their prices. If I can't get it fixed on warranty then I'll just fix it myself. (plus I don't like supporting a company that rips people off. Best Buy 'Geek Squad' = just that)

Best Buy should work with you, and you are right about th "Geek" squad. They are salesmen first, technicians second...

Ok cool. Yeah all I did was swap out some ram (and unplugged the PSU, didn't take it out, just used mine from outside the case) and I doubt they would care about me taking out the HD. I have a bit of exp with building PCs so it is unscratched and 'should' have no static damage. This would be great news I'll talk to her about when she purchased the computer.

And yeah... I doubt Best Buy would fix it for a 'discounted' price. Unless by discounted you mean only $200 for labor and $300 for the motherboard (probably charge me god knows what for a new windows vista, if changing the mobo destroys the license), and around $60 to diagnose. That would be about the usual from what I've read about their prices. If I can't get it fixed on warranty then I'll just fix it myself. (plus I don't like supporting a company that rips people off. Best Buy 'Geek Squad' = just that)

If does get sort of stupid when the repair costs are more than the machine cost. Maybe someone should explain that to them

Lol, yeah no joke guys. Well she has had the computer for over a year I guess (my earlier calculations

Anyways I guess I'm going to start the process... Going to buy a new mobo (cheap $50 MSI microATX) and PRAY it works. Will probably replace the PSU for future-proof-ness ($40 Antec 380W).

So if I plug these things in and still get the same error I guess I'll assume the CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back